The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripod for Photo and Video? hybrid solution? Which one?

haring

Hi!

I am looking for a solution for a tripod system which I can use for photography AND videography for HDSLRs... I would like to shoot photography and videography with Canon 5D Mark ii. I don't want to buy 2 tripods....

What should I buy? Do you recommend a hybrid solution? If yes, which one?

Manfrotto makes the Mh005 Q5 (Manfrotto MH055M8-Q5) head. Can you recommend it?

Thanks!

gazwas

IMO, the best video and photography (and what I own) tripods are the Gitzo Systematics.

I shoot MFD, tech camera, 35mm DSLR and 5DMk2 video and they are great. Being able to change the centre for different accessories is the key to their flexibility for me. I use a levelling base or a 75mm (100mm also available) half bowl for video heads and a lateral arm, centre column and straight to the legs for photography. To round them off you can add a dolly or ground brace and you'll be sorted.

In photography circles they are very expensive but compared to dedicated video legs they are dirt cheap so depends on where you're looking.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
And the answer is how will you mount the video component....

Fluid head on a Gitzo with a 75 or 100mm half bowl is mandatory...and Manfroto does not have one that allows panning without stutter....

Sachtler OConner or Miller make great heads and legs....

Vincent Laforet does an amazing job with HDSLR video...here are his thoughts on stabilization:

My Gear: Support & Stabilization « Vincent Laforet's Blog

Bob