The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Good AA rechargeable batteries?

Lars

I need to get some new all-purpose AA rechargeables. Which are good quality? Preferable Gen 2 NiMH that keep the charge. Not primarily for camera flash use.

pophoto

Sanyo Eneloops like everyone else who mentioned them are hands down the best!

I don't have personal experience with the Maha or Powerex, but I use the Titanium 16 battery charger, which I think is great! It does take a while longer than others on the market, but my research quite a while ago assured me that quicker isn't necessarily better. So while I do say this, your research and usage mileage may differ!

Rayto

There are several different types of Eneloops. Simply buying Eneloop is not going to deliver "general purpose". The distinction is in the mAh. They have different discharge rates, how many times they can be recharged as well as other differences which I don't recall.

Nikon's site has an excellent article, kept updated, on buying rechargeable batteries. They address Eneloop specifically. Probably easier to Google the page than sift through Nikon's site.

When I made my last purchase I went with the 1,900 mAh batteries. I was looking for general purpose at the time. For flash, there are much better choices. About 5 years ago I bought the standard Sanyo 4 cell charger. It replaced one of the fancier names (that died after about 5 years) and its done just fine. I could not tell a difference with the same batteries.