The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mac/OSX help please..

rayyan

I am stuck! Need help in 101 form please.

Set-up

I have my latest iMac set-up running OSX 10.8.4
I am running CS6/ACR Bridge on it.

I bought an external WD 3T hard-disk for general b/u purposes. Copying image folders ( and their sub-folders ) from the machine HD and additional external ones.

I have formatted it for Mac OSX file system. But not using it with Time Machine or for routine auto b/u.

Problem:

Whenever I try to drag and drop a folder from one external hd to the new 3T HD I get the following error:

" You can’t copy “.BridgeCachet” because it has the same name as another item on the destination volume, and that volume doesn’t distinguish between upper- and lowercase letters in filenames. ".

Obviously I cannot go to each folder and erase the hidden .file
Guess it is created by Bridge when I use it to process images in a folder.

Every folder I try to copy comes up with the same error message.:eek:

Request:

Any suggestions as to how I might resolve this issue.

Thank you all in anticipation.

p.s I have tried to purge all cache thumbnails and previews stored from the Bridge preferences. But zippo!

I am stuck!!:banghead::cry::mad:

rayyan

Stephen, thank you so much for the response.

What I want to copy is e.g. a 300gb external drive containing folders to the 3tb
drive. And also to copy files/folders from the iMac to the 3tb drive.

I find that I am unable to do this currently as I get the error mentioned in the OP.

Kindest regards.

Godfrey

Rayyan,

The Finder is telling you that ".BridgeCache" (I don't think there's a 't' on the end) is replicated in the directory folders with the same name using different case, and that the file system you're writing to does not have case-sensitivity enabled.

What's happening is that when you formatted the new drive, you likely set it up for 'case insensitive' file system handling (this is the OS X default), whereas the source drives you're copying from were likely formatted with case-sensitivity enabled. (I believe Adobe Bridge will write both lowercase and CamelCase versions of the cache file to filesystems set up with case sensitivity enabled, but I don't have a copy here to test with.) You can check this by selecting one of the source drives and using the "Get Info" command in the Finder's File menu ... look in the General panel and see whether the volume is set to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" or "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, journaled)"

The solution is to reformat the new drive and use a matching file system layout. If your source volumes are formatted to be case-sensitive, the new volume should be also.

This (old) knowledge-base article talks about file system case sensitivity:
Mac OS X Server 10.3: Using the Case Sensitive/Journaled file system

G

rayyan

Godfrey, many thanks.

I shall try reformatting ( to reflect the source case sensitivities ) and shall let you know.

Once again, many thanks and best wishes.

rayyan

Godfrey, your advice seems to have done the trick!!

Thank you so very much.:clap:

Best regards.

ShooterSteve

Wow, I've formatted hundreds of drives over the years and never ran into this problem. Good to know in case this ever comes up.

Thank you Godfrey