The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MacPro Problems

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Greetings,

I have two problems with my MacPro, and a lengthy call with support was not helping at all.

1. sound
The maschine emits a low frequency sound in intervals, ~ twice per second. It is strong enough so you can feel the resonance on the case. If I place my hand on the case between the handle and the DVD drives, I can feel it clearly. It is hard to describe, but reminds me to the hum of an old fridge.

I suspected the PSU as the sound is originated in that area and ran an extended ATH, returned no failures, but to give you an idea, you still can hear the hum even when all fans running full speed. If it is quiet in the room, this sound stomps on my nervs, it is reallty annoying.

Could folks around here who have a mac pro 8 core with 4 HD's installed check for me whether they can feel/hear that twice a sceond interval hum on their maschine or not, thanks!

Apple would pick up the maschine and check it out, but the chap said it takes around 4 weeks until I have it back and chances are it would come back the way it is, how re assuring is that? :cussing:

2. Boot sequence
If my MCP is out for a few hours and I start it, the following happens in 90% of the time.

Boot sequence takes 6-7 minutes, both raid-0 drives were not found. If I restart after that, boot sequence takes the expected 30 seconds, and all drives are found.

2.1 Sonnet E4P
attached are two Lacie quadra 1 TB, it often happens out of no where that on of the drives light flashes and can not be accessed anymore, only a re boot solves this.

In console report I see a lot of errors concerning the Sonnet, I reported it to Sonnet and got an email back to revert to OSX 10.5.5, I mentioned that this behaviour was the case with 10.5.4, 10.5.5. and 10.5.6, did not get a reply to that.

If any of you folks have ideas, I'd be very grateful.

P.S. as for the humming sound, I already checked all HD sleds, they are screwed in secure and have no play.

Thanks!
Georg

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
This might not be much help, but I have the machine you describe and it does have 4 drives in it (albeit all different capacities and makers) and there's nothing like the sound you hear. In fact, it's the quietest MAC I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch of them.

I'd start by restoring the MAC to it's original configuration and see if the sound is still present. Just an idea.

Tim

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hi Tim,

thanks for looking at it, I tried that already, only booted with the original hardware installed, same result.

The only additions I have is a sonnet e4p e-sata card, and a RME Multiface II.

I know now 3 people with near identical configs and none have this annoying hum reported. What bugs me is apple's response, 4 weeks? That is just ridiculous to me. I sure can not live with that fridge sound.

If this would not be there, i agree that the maschine would be very quiet in deed

I nearly suspect a simple thing like a sloppy assembly, may be a piece of rubber missing somwhere, a washer, whatever, trouble is i can not make that call myself, if it would be a PC, I dismantle everything myself, but this is different and also a matter of warranty. I am way of the beaten track, and the nearest apple certified dealer is a 2 days round trip from me.

I think, I might just have to bite the bullet and call UPS to pack it in and send it to this dealer instead of apple. Must check with them tomorow.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Georg:

I too have the same machine you do...

Re sound: On rare occasion, I do get a doppler resonance in my machine, though it is at extremely low volume. (My case is literally sitting on the desk next to my monitor, so the case is at most 1 meter from my right ear -- and my hearing is good!) When it happens, usually right after a reboot and only once every 10 or 15 boots, I tap the side of my case with a knuckle and it stops. I suspect it is the Optical drive holder responding to a resonance vibration from the fans.

Re boot sequence: I had that exact same problem when I had a pair of non-enterprise class Samsung 1TB Spinpoints in RAID 0 -- about every third or fourth boot, the sequence would hang and those drives would not be available. I had to remove power and reboot. I finally gave up, tossed those drives into my DROBO and now am running a new RAID-0 array with some WD 640 drives and am very happy (no more hang issues). I suspect your issue is your drives are not well suited for RAID-0, it happens :(

I am not running the Sonnet so cannot comment directly, but it sounds like a bad card...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If you pull the access hatch off can you stop the pulse noise by applying pressure to the PSU?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Not that I know of, but you can pull the main cover off the box and press on the outside of the PSU. I was thinking you might feel it vibrate and help isolate the issue...

Update on mine -- I got the subtle pulse again a few minutes ago. Turns out it was another piece of equipment under the table the main box is on was just resting against the edge of the table leg -- moved it a few mm's so it doesn't touch and all is well. Boy, do I feel stupid! :wtf:

:ROTFL:,

R

Ranger 9

Do you have a Matsu****a optical drive, and have you recently update to 10.5.6?

If you, you might want to take a look at this article.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hi Ranger,

nope, it is not related, thanks anyways!

I killed the Raid-0 and erased the disks in question.

Guess what, the system boot time is still the same, around 6-7 minutes. Once the system is up, and you restart, it is up in the expected ~30 secs.

Leave it out for a few hours, you are back to square one.

Currently I am talking to apple, sonnet and lacie... as if I had nothing else to do.... :ROTFL:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
well, fair enough, my dealer takes back the three WD Caviar SE drives and I get the 1TB RE3 instead, apple offered to pick the baby up and have it checked out in Galway instead of sending it around europe for weeks, if the problems still exist after the HD swap.

I am pondering whether I ditch the original macinstosh HD, some seagate I think and whack in another of those RE3 instead, a raptor seems to be overdrive...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If the original drive a 320 or 500 it is *probably* a Seagate 7200.10 -- it is easy to pull out and check -- which is now two generations old. I would at the very least put in a 7200.11 as they were much quieter. I went to the WD 640's as they are new technology (and different from your 750's or the WD 500's) and for whatever reason among the fastest 7200 drives available now.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Macless

Has been picked up yesterday, garanteed max. return time 10 days, if not fixed within that time frame, dealer exchanges entire maschine.

I intend to think I got a blue monday production.

If they can fix all issues, fine, I am a happy camper again.

Thx for your input!

Best
Georg