The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Drobo Trap Drobo Crap, Your Data isn't PROTECTED!

bradhusick

Folks,
One option for this is to use TWO Drobo units so that a rebuild does not leave you exposed to a single drive failure. I have one gen2 Drobo now, so if any of you want to sell me your gen2 Drobo, I'd be interested.
-Brad

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Folks,
One option for this is to use TWO Drobo units so that a rebuild does not leave you exposed to a single drive failure. I have one gen2 Drobo now, so if any of you want to sell me your gen2 Drobo, I'd be interested.
-Brad
Ditto -- consider me in line right behind Brad, but only for a gen2 unit, with or without drives.

D

DMM

I see that you have had some drobo issues and they sound a lot like mine. Could you tell me how you fixed the disk structure. My drobo has lost the ability to mount. I can see it on the drodo dashboard, but it will not mount to my computer. Most disk rescue utilities are useless, because they require a like size drive for the destination. I don't have a 2tb drive, so I'm stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,
David:eek:

M

meilicke

The zfs file system protects against bit rot (the 10^14 reference above). Currently open solaris, freebsd, and Linux (but slow) support this. Snow leopard server will support zfs read/write. Today leopard just supports read (beta code for read/write is available now).

bradhusick

Drobo is having a sale on two drives. Maybe we could do a joint-buy?

Sweet Deal on Two Drobos Through March 31st

For a limited time you can get TWO of our award-winning Drobo with 4TB’s each for just $1,698 (that’s a $300 savings)!

Whether it’s for your personal use or for your business, Drobo offers you peace of mind with zero management and dynamic capacity expansion.

With this Sweet Drobo Deal, you can:
• Use one Drobo for onsite storage and one for offsite backup
• Split the cost with a friend (that’s $849 per 4TB bundle!)

popum

David,

I had the same mount problem after a brief power outage. I bought DISK WARRIOR software and that fixed everything.

If you are on a MAC, you might first try disk repair in the disk utility first.

Mike

D

DMM

Thanks mike. I have two drobos one hooked to my mac and one to an xp pc. The mac has been flawless as a time machine backup. The xp machine was the one that was down. Last night I hooked it up to a vista pc and it had the same problem. The disk utilities would not populate the drive, so no luck there. It froze the disk utilities app and I had to reboot. That is when things got interesting. Vista remembered the disk caused the problem and ran chldsk at the root level. I saw alot of deleting and moving and reindexing and got really nervous. After ten minutes it stopped, rebooted and I had my drobo back with all the working files and pictures.Not one byte was lost. It would have been nice for drobo support to know this I talked to them once, they had me send them a log file and then never got back to me. Oh well, I guess If you want it done right you must do it yourself. I hope this post helps someone else.

David

fotografz

My experience too. Don't know what it is, but almost everybody I know that used LaCie's in the past has lost data. My local dealer stopped selling them they had so many issues. This was about 2 years ago though.

A better option IMO if you want to go with that style of box are the G-Drives, but they are relatively expensive...

Cheers,
Me too. After my past experiences, IMO, Lacie is safe only when unplugged and on the shelf ... otherwise it's a crap shoot. 2 drives were victims of sudden death syndrome, and they were not that old. I also had a Western Digital drive go with 150 gigs of data which WD could not get back ... basically it was a catastrophic train wreak inside that specific drive that happened as I was backing up the last 20 gigs onto DVDs ... but that was years ago.

Nothing is really totally safe except maybe 2 different off-site storage locations that mirror each other.