The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MacBook Pro Screen

E

Eisemann

I am about to order a new MacBook Pro and there appears to be 2 screen types available. I seek an opinion as to wherher the Glossy or Normal Wide Screen is preferable with respect to working with PhotoShop, Capture One, etc. Assistance in this decision would be most appreciated.

Howard

Last edited:
M

Mitch Alland

I feel that it's important to get the matte screen, which, in any case, needs to be turned down a bit if you're calibrating it to match prints; the glossy one is simply too bright and also is much too much subject to reflections. In other words, while the glossy screen shows a "prettier" picture, the matte one is much better for having the LCD monitor match prints.

I had to make this decision last August in buying a new MacBook Pro, and also came to the conclusion that the 17" high resolution (1900x1200) is vastly superior to the 15 inch screen for post-processing photographs, particularly for judging small tonal and textural differences.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Last edited:
E

Eisemann

Since getting the M8, I have been trying to work within Capture One and Photoshop with a PowerBook G4 500Mhz and a 1152x768 Screen. I feel it is time for a bit more horsepower and do want to get it right, Thank you for your suggestion. It is well taken.

Howard

W

wilsonlaidlaw

I am about to order a new MacBook Pro and there appears to be 2 screen types available. I seek an opinion as to wherher the Glossy or Normal Wide Screen is preferable with respect to working with PhotoShop, Capture One, etc. Assistance in this decision would be most appreciated.

Howard
Howard,

Having thought I would hate the glossy screen on my Macbook, after trying one early last year, I was left with no option after lightning struck while I was sending a fax in France last autumn from my G4 12" iBook and killed its logic unit. I have now got very used to the glossy screen on my new Macbook (no matte option on the Macbook) and I am not sure I would want to go back to a matte one. It is a trade off of the sharpness of the glossy screen, against the lower propensity of the matte screen to be overpowered by reflections. However the new Macbook screens are quite bright, which to some extent negates the reflection problem. It may be a case of trying them and seeing. If I were going for one of the big 17" screens, I think I might still be tempted to go for matte. The extra fine detail you get with glossy, would point me in that direction for the 15" and 13" screens. Sit in your local Apple dealer, which are usually brightly lit with either halogen or fluorescent lighting; see what you think. Ask if they can sit you next to a window and you can see if you can live with the additional reflections you get with a glossy screen. Take an image with you that you know well and see if you are getting enough detail on the matte screen. I have been pleasantly surprised how well I have adapted to the glossy screen and I now don't think I would want to go back to matte for a 13" screen.

Wilson

hdrmd

I, too, was pleasantly surprised with the glossy screen. I worried about the reflections, but they have not been a problem. I love the small size of the MacBook; it travels well. I print from the 23 inch flat screen when I get home. DR

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I've got a 15" Powerbook pro with glossy screen. I tortured myself on glossy vs matt before I bought it and I handled it this way; glossy on the computer and then purchased a 30" matt cinema screen to use at my home. I must say however the glossy screen has not given me a problem yet. But the larger screen helps with post processing. My 2 cents.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have the glossy screen. Howard I may move this thread to the garage since it would help other non M shooters also. The Garage forum is loaded with computer stuff so it may blossom there better. Hope you don't mind.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's all personal preference --- you should look at both in the store and decide for yourself. My daughter bought hers with the mat screen a year ago. At the time I was editing on my Sony with a glossy screen. To my eye, the glossy screen images looked better, being sharper and with better color rendition, but I liked the "no reflections" on my daughter's. When I bought my Macbook Pro, I took one quick look at the mat, didn't even hesitate and went glossy --- and I love it. It profiles well and does need to be dialed down about 5 points for proper brightness.

Cheers,

S

Sean_Reid

I'm waiting for MacWorld (1/15) to find out if there's going to be a 17" LED Macbook Pro coming soon. Then I need to finally get one of them. I like the way the glossy screen looks but I'm going with matte because the image is more even when viewed at different angles, etc. I've looked at both screen types many times now.

Cheers,

Sean

Lars

The thing to keep in mind with glossy screens is that the backlighting has to be bright enough to overcome reflections. This means maximizing brightness and/or minimizing reflections. If the 17" will available with LED lighting soon then that would be worth waiting for if you decide to go for glossy (or matte for that matter). My Sony 17" glossy is totally gorgeous, but that's partly because it's so bright (350 nits new, now 3 years later still at 260 nits).