The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mac Pro time machine backup ideas

dseelig

I have anew Mac pro and my drobo s is a pain with it . Firewire jams a lot and usb 2 is slowww. So should I just upgrade to a 5d or get some other system I have 4 3 tb seagates and one 2 tb drive I could get a 5 th 3tb seagate if I needed all the same drives . I cannot afford a pegasus
thanks for any ideas.
David

bradhusick

I use the Drobo 5D without problems on the new Mac Pro. I also have a Lacie 4TB RAID 1, 2TB RAID 0 and 500GB SSD attached. I back up the back ups to Crashplan.

m_driscoll

I'm going to try this tonight.

1. I have my main LR5 catalogues on a MacPro 4tb raid (0+1). It's backed up by time machine to a 9tb Synology NAS (SHR)
2. I'm hooking up a 6tb Synology NAS (0) to it and I'll back up the pictures and documents from the MacPro and the Music from a separate Synology NAS (SSD, 0). Once it's all loaded, I'll move it to my office and set it up for backup over the internet. It's NAS to NAS, so, I may have the Lightroom/picture files and the time machine backup on the 9tb NAS.

I'll have an on-site and offsite backup that's run every day.

3. I'm hooking up a Seagate Backup Plus Fast Portable 4tb drive to the MacPro (no Thunderbolt on mid 2011 Mac Pro). I'll use ChronoSync to copy and synchronize the Lightroom catalogue and picture files (2.6tb at present). I believe, if I hook it up to my MacBook Pro, I could open the Catalogue that's on the external drive (will it find the photos?). Any changes that i make in those catalogues would then be sync'd back to the MacPro when I hook the external drive up to it and run ChronoSync.

I think this will work? BTW: I think the Synology Drives are faster then the Drobos.

Cheers, Matt

Last edited:

jduncan

Thanks for pointing that solution, but if he can't afford the Pegasus probably it will not work for him.

But is very useful to know. I have been unable to find any USB ones.
I have found that the best option for LTO is a cheep PC, a SAS card and a little bit of unix.
But that works only if you have the expertise at home.

Maybe with all the idea of backing in the cloud (mind share) the window is already close but the tape companies could have created a good tape culture with a low price tape unit and good marketing.

Best regards,
J. Duncan

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
J.

This really is more applicable to backup for video.....

No other cost effective way to triplicate backups of terabytes.

Bob

jduncan

J.

This really is more applicable to backup for video.....

No other cost effective way to triplicate backups of terabytes.

Bob
Exactly, that is the use I have in mind. With all this 4k high bit rate cameras
there is no compact RAID array that have enough capacity.

Best regards,
J. Duncan

Stuart Richardson

This is a very good deal. OWC M3QX2KIT0GB Mercury Elite Pro Qx2... in stock at OWC
It is a four drive box, USB3, eSATA, Firewire etc. It has hardware RAID (or you can use software). I have been running one in RAID 5 with 4 enterprise 2TB drives for two years without a hiccup. I have that backed up via time machine to a two drive Synology NAS with 2 3tb drives in RAID 0. Right now they are about half full, so I back it up again with a 3TB external hard drive clone that I keep at home and back up about once every two weeks. All this is a bit expensive to set up initially, the reliability and speed is very good.
I set this up initially after I messed up a backup (I was tired and confused the source and destination...not good! Lost very little in the end, but it was a very good lesson about having truly redundant backups). The neighbor at my workplace recently had a fire...luckily no one was hurt and there was no structural damage to the building (no damage in my unit), but it again made me very happy to have a recent off-site backup. You never know what might happen!

Dustbak

Instead of the Pegasus which comes with disks already installed, is pretty expensive and the jury is still out on the max transfer speeds another option is the Areca 8050T2. You can expand at will, I have seen transfer speeds already in the 1000m/s.

I got one, it is expensive but not over the top and you have more options for configuring since you can add drives later.