The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Those little plastic white balance cards...

Stuart Richardson

That Capture Integration sells and others seem to use...is there any particular thing to look for when trying to make one yourself? I would just buy one from them, but since I am in Iceland it would take forever to get here, and probably would not be worth the shipping, tax and custom issues. I would just like to go to a home improvement store and buy a bit of acrylic or plastic if I can find one...it needs to be the correct shade though, right? Is there any way to determine? Is there a particular name or type that one should buy?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The most critical thing is it needs to be truly neutral -- and under a known light-source. Nice thing about plastic is you can sand it to roughen it up and reduce its reflective characteristics.

stephengilbert

Stuart,

I think the two answers above refer to two different tools. It sounds like you want a transluscent plastic sheet or filter that you shoot through to set WB. That is what CI sells, and, I believe, is what Jack is talking about. (A more expensive, similar, item is the ExpoDisk.) The next post refers to a card like the WhiBal card, which you include in a sample image and then later use to set WB in post.

I've seen people claim that the plastic snap-on lids that come with some canned food products can be used to shoot through. I don't know anyone who has done so, but you may find someone here. Given the relatively small size and weight of the CI item, I doubt it would cost much to ship. I don't know if CI will ship internationally, but I'd think you can find it somewhere.

Steve

P.S. I found this test, which compares a plastic lid to an ExpoDisk, and finds the lid wanting: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=6622477

etrigan63

An alternative to that is the BRNO baLens cap. This is a lens cap with a white balance tool built-in. Here is what it looks like:

And you can read my review here. They work very well.