The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

surface pro 3

mmbma

what does everyone think about the new surface pro 3?

I like the bigger screen. not sure it'll be that much faster since the pro 2 was already fast enough.

I hope to use it like a Cinetiq HD for photo editing

Don Libby

Just noticed this...

I upgraded to the SP3 (from a SP2) a couple months ago alike it. A lot. It's replaced my laptop on short trips and allows me to also tether to my IQ180. The difference between the 2 and 3 besides the screen and faster chip is the USB3 port is on the right side and stretches the USB cord a bit but then again all you have to do is turn it upside down! My is an I7 256 8GB RAM with a 128 card added from the SP2. Runs C1-Pro 8 with no effort as well as PS-CC.

Don

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It's posted now because it's only just finished installing the Windows 8.1 updates :facesmack: :ROTFL:

iiiNelson

Just noticed this...

I upgraded to the SP3 (from a SP2) a couple months ago alike it. A lot. It's replaced my laptop on short trips and allows me to also tether to my IQ180. The difference between the 2 and 3 besides the screen and faster chip is the USB3 port is on the right side and stretches the USB cord a bit but then again all you have to do is turn it upside down! My is an I7 256 8GB RAM with a 128 card added from the SP2. Runs C1-Pro 8 with no effort as well as PS-CC.

Don
I'm a Mac guy and have been for about 12 or 13 years now. I got my soon to be finance a SP3 for her birthday a few months ago and I'm still plotting a way to "use her's every now and then" but then that'll require replacing with a new one.

So that's a testament to how amazing the SP3 is when a Mac guy is a bit envious and wonders why Apple won't make an iPad Pro that could make the MacBook Air obsolete in reality but it's all people have wanted since the first iPad was announced. A tablet that is a laptop replacement for most day to day functions. The battery technology is great enough that it isn't a limiting factor any longer.

GrahamWelland

I agree that the SP3 is a fine piece of gear. (Windows 8.1 & WTP aka 10 both still suck though). I really like it and it's well built and powerful with a great screen. Hardware-wise I can't complain at all and enjoy using mine. It still has a schizophrenic OS though which is my hate for it.

Shame on Apple for not having an equivalent in this area since the iPad doesn't fill the space and the MBA clamshell doesn't work as well for field use. A powerful tablet with peripheral support would be wonderful.

... and I'm the hugest Mac (well, OS X actually) fan you'll find anywhere.

mesposito

I'm also a Mac guy that uses a SP3. Personally I agree with Microsoft that the best device is both tablet and laptop, but my main reason is the pixel density (2160 x 1440) as I find it nicer on the eyes. The touch screen is also great once you get used to having it there. I find that I use the touch screen a bit even when I have the keyboard attached.

Funny how Apple coined the phrase Retina and their own MB Air doesn't keep up. (1440) I suspect that's because the device is so thin, but that doesn't matter to me. At the end of the day the resolution is the most important factor.

If you're tethering that resolution will be important as well.

Hopefully the OP will still see this. :^}

Don Libby

The SP2/3 is a real game changer in the ability to have both a tablet and laptop combination. I remember having the conversation with Ken Doo shortly after the SP2 was announced regarding the ability to have a fully functional copy of C1 on such a small platform and tether to the IQ. At first the only interest I had was the tethering but quickly saw that the SP could indeed take the place of my much larger laptop on certain field trips. Since getting the SP3 I've also loaded a copy of PS-CC and spent an entire trip with just the SP reviewing and doing light processing all the while keeping up with other aspects of running a business.

I agree, I hope the OP sees these threads in case he's on the fence getting one.

don

GrahamWelland

PS-CC & CC-2014 rock on the SP3. You should use the Surface Pro hub to set up the pen and enable the 'experimental' mode for 200% UI too. I wish Capture One had that feature too as the UI is teeny on the SP3.

I still hate Windows ( :deadhorse: ) ... I just have to say again though that the C1, PS and overall hardware platform are superb together. Phase One - give us a 200% scale UI option though please :thumbs:

sc_john

Is C1 v8 noticeably faster on Surface Pro 3. I am presently running C1 v7 of SP2 with i5-4300, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD. Thanks.

John

Don Libby

I'm not certain I can answer this. To me, the SP3 is generally a faster machine than the 2 I had. I have C1.8.02 on all my computers and feel that there's little difference between them. Yeah I know, no help at all...

don

For me at least I feel it was worthwhile upgrading to the 3 as it is faster and larger. The larger screen is much easier to deal with when out in the field tethered.

GrahamWelland

MS seemed to have got their act together better with the SP3 and the better display layout, performance and stand make it more usable overall. Ditto battery life.

I'm seeing a lot of my corporate customers using them in meetings etc and less folks trying to make an iPad work in those same environments. The OneNote integration seems to make a difference but having a fully baked windows tablet with a decent keyboard option and the variable tilt stand helps.

I just wish that someone would see the light and add a 16GB ram option. I could almost go to using the SP3 as a more go-to travel option when on photo trips vs bringing my MBP and SP3 just for tethering.

daf

What is the best option i5 or i7, to run capture one(in field tethering/ hotel processing)?
I was going for i7 but I heard of overheating problem(with reduced performance)...so I'm a bit lost.
I'd like to heard your thought..
Thanks