The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MacWorld Keynote live Jan. 15th

Terry

the new Apple TV may be pretty cool with movie rentals. I never bought the original.
the new airport extreme can also potentially solve one of my back up problems.

Today may turn out expensive for me but what day isn't?

cam

okay, major chuckle! flickr failed during the demo... so that's what all the server upgrades and hiccups were for -- and all for naught!

Maggie O

Cool, the Apple TV 2 is also going to be a free software update for original Apple Tv owners. Meaning, ME!

cam

Cool, the Apple TV 2 is also going to be a free software update for original Apple Tv owners. Meaning, ME!
we do as well... it's going to be interesting to see if i'll be able to rent the movies or not. i've been fine buying tunes since i have a US bank account, but i'm wondering if they're going to be stricter on the film rentals...

Terry

Yikes. The SSD version is $1300 more! He said it was pricey!!!!
The regular hard drive looks sort of slow but I am not a techno geek.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The AIR was basically what my last sony 13.1 with carbon fiber case was. Very cool little machine. The Sony was a bit heavier at 3.75 pounds, but processor specs were comparable at 1.86 core DUO, 2G RAM and a 100G drive, with 4 hours battery life. Truth be told, for imaging, the 13.1 screen was a bit constrained to edit images on, but it had a full-sized keyboard --- I much prefer the additional screen on the 15" MBP...

D

DougDolde

Obviously the MacBook Air is going to be great for air travelers. I think that's where they will sell most of them.

Terry

The AIR was basically what my last sony 13.1 with carbon fiber case was. Very cool little machine. The Sony was a bit heavier at 3.75 pounds, but processor specs were comparable at 1.86 core DUO, 2G RAM and a 100G drive, with 4 hours battery life. Truth be told, for imaging, the 13.1 screen was a bit constrained to edit images on, but it had a full-sized keyboard --- I much prefer the additional screen on the 15" MBP...
Any thoughts on SSD vs regular hard drives?

agree on screen size but loathe taking laptops anywhere so size and weight are important to me. I have a teeny Sony with a virtual keyboard and stylus that was a Japanese model that came to the US for about a month.Useless for photography but great for basic travel.

Terry

Any thoughts on SSD vs regular hard drives?

agree on screen size but loathe taking laptops anywhere so size and weight are important to me. I have a teeny Sony with a virtual keyboard and stylus that was a Japanese model that came to the US for about a month.Useless for photography but great for basic travel.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I wished they would have allowed the iphone for business accounts this year...I would have bought one. But I guess I can use my itouch for mail now.

S

Sean_Reid

Bummer...no new Macbook Pros. I watched the news eagerly for that one announcement but...nada. So now to decide on a 15" LED or a 17" LED. I was hoping for a 17" LED with Penryn...

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

TR,

Thanks. I've seen that and I wonder if they would recommend differently now that nothing new for the MBP was announced in the key note.

Cheers,

Sean

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I remember reading an interesting discussion (somewhere) re: the decision to release the Mac Pro upgrades prior to MacWorld. I came away with the perception that it was a strategic move to allow for the more consumer-oriented product offerings that we witnessed today. It would seem as though Apple is riding the current wave of consumer appeal and so wanted to focus on those products that would have the biggest "wow" factor.

The new Mac Pro will be a "wow" for me, but in the end it's not that appealing to the general public. I see a processor upgrade for the Mac Book Pro in the same light. Benchmarks with the new processors in other laptops have shown some modest gains in power consumption and even more modest gains in speed. So the switch will be a nice upgrade for pros who need it, but isn't necessarily worthy of the attention and PR that gets generated with a Keynote a la Jobs.

So I think it will happen, and it would have been nice to know when, but that ain't the Apple way.