The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

macpro card reader problem

jlm

Workshop Member
been using a lexar USB3 reader for years, suddenly not working.

computer does not seem to see the drive.

checked cables, tried a different lexar in old cable/port, different cable different port, same thing

finder does not see the reader and no cards show up

rebooted a couple of times...

grrr

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Your mac can't see any combination? Different card reader, different cables?

Is this a USB3 equipped Mac Pro? Native (only the tube, AFAIK), or aftermarket card? I could never get reliable reading with aftermarket USB3. My reader does work well, although slowly, on my USB2 equipped 2009 Mac Pro.

(I'm afraid I can't do much with the answers to these questions, but someone who could help will ask them, too.)

--Matt

jlm

Workshop Member
the macky linguistics continue to mystify me.

this macpro has had the lexar working fine for years, simple not working today. no changes made to OS, software, etc since last time i used it.

went to utilities/systemprofiler/hardware/usb and saw many usb devices, few of them named (i have two printers, two scanners, mouse, keyboard, scanner, I-phone dock, usb to monitor hub, etc. but no identifiers for each listing and no error marks.

mac help says to also try hardisc/applications/utilities/disc utility to see if device is mounted, but still truing to figure out how to do that.

my finder shows my data drive (a spinner), but not my boot drive (ssd), but does not show any applications folders containing utilities.

i plugged the lexar directly into the front of the computer, typically it is plugged into the back

this is a 2009 macpro running osX yosemite, v 10.10.2

jlm

Workshop Member
plugged the lecture into my pc, downloaded file then sent it to my mac via my LAN;

seems o imply it is a mac problem

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Now that I look, I use a Sandisk FW800 reader on the 2009 Mac Pro, and the Lexar USB3 only on the laptop. I wonder if you can still get FW800 card readers....

jlm

Workshop Member
something hincky goin on; installed OSX upgrade adn re-booted; mouse (actually a trackball) was stuck. had to power off/on and it all came up fine. downloaded the lexar firmware upgrade; that required a re-start as well, same deal with the mouse. running the fw installer showed "no device " when attempting the actual upgrade.

yesterday all was well...