The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tablet for tethered shooting

Godfrey

I use my iPad mini for tethered shooting with Olympus E-M1 and E-PL7, used it with Sony A7 as well, but that's all wireless tethering. I've used it with the Leica M9 the same way given an EyeFi card.

I can use the Camera Connection Kit for USB connection to upload image files directly from the cameras, or to read and upload from SD/SDHC/SDXC cards too. But there's no camera control afforded in that mode.

Seems to me you'd need a tablet that runs some compatible form of Windows for a wired USB tethering setup, unless the manufacturer of the equipment you're tethering to has implemented a custom app and supporting hardware for connection.

G

kdphotography

iPads and similar whether Wifi or not simply can't compete with a USB3 tethered solution running a full version of Capture One Pro 8. The touchscreen interface of the Surface Pro is a natural extension of the camera---easy to zoom in on full resolution RAW files.

Tethering with the Surface Pro has evolved a bit, especially with regard to clamping options. I'm still working on what I hope will be the last two options. ;)

https://kendoophotography.wordpress...s-and-leaf-credo-medium-format-digital-backs/

ken

stephengilbert

I was gonna say that your blog really needs a video of the setup, and then, there it was.

I underestimated your insanity.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
After watching the video I realize that we now need to badger rrs for a rail with a side oriented clamp vs end clamp so that you can tilt the spro vertically without hitting the knob. :facesmack:

kdphotography

You might be able to use this RRS rail and simply add the FAS clamp: Rail & clamp package It is the same length as the RRS MPR-CL II rail so it should work. I'll add it to the list.

The other option is this rail from Sunwayfoto: Amazon.com : SUNWAYFOTO Stereo Dual Camera Rig Arca Compatible 300mm Sunway : Tripod Heads : Camera & Photo This rail is slightly longer, and the photo is not clear but the description says it is a dual rail so should also work. This is a less expensive option and the two included clamps means not having to buy the RRS FAS clamp, but the dual knobs on the clamps means not being able to go fully vertical in adjustment if you decide to swivel the Surface Pro ninety degrees left or right. No free lunch.

The Giottos Professional Mini-ballhead listed in my blog is a unique design which allows panning at the base when the release knob is loosened---not at the ball, but from underneath the base! The QR plate remains firmly attached, but the ballhead body pans...

Btw, I just got an email from the US KPS distributor. The Slim Plate option is a good one, and he is sending me the KPS mini-ballhead to try. And, there is a possibility that KPS may get involved in designing a tablet clamp...

:)