The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Crossover Mac Works!

S

Sean_Reid

Yee Haw...so far at least. I installed Crossover on my new Mac tonight and installed BB Pro. So far, it has run without a hitch and can do all those little operations that I love so well. Windows is not installed on the computer at all - it's just WINE in a bottle.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Cheers,

Sean

simonclivehughes

I've been tempted to try Crossover, having run Parallels for some time and finally giving up on it, but Crossover doesn't seem to support many of the Windows apps I'd run (Office 2007, Visio 2007, Project 2007).

Cheers,

S

Sean_Reid

Absolutely...

CompUSA is going out of business and a couple of weeks ago I noticed that they happened to have a demo model of the last generation 2.33 (17") Macbook Pro. I loaded some pictures on it and decided that I actually prefer the way the ATI video card renders B&W pictures (compared to the Nvidia 8600). But I was still waiting for the 17" LED MBP (which I imagine will come sometime this spring).

So I called them yesterday to see what they had left for Macbook Pros and they still had this demo for....$1700...with full warranty. For that price I figured I'd dive in now and go to the LED version down the line.

So far its a great computer with a beautiful display.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

I accidentally posted this to the wrong forum, sorry. I'll repost in the gear forum.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

Repost: Accidentally posted this in the wrong forum the first time.

---------------

Yee Haw...so far at least. I installed Crossover on my new Mac tonight and installed BB Pro. So far, it has run without a hitch and can do all those little operations that I love so well. Windows is not installed on the computer at all - it's just WINE in a bottle.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

CompUSA is going out of business and a couple of weeks ago I noticed that they happened to have a demo model of the last generation 2.33 (17") Macbook Pro. I loaded some pictures on it and decided that I actually prefer the way the ATI video card renders B&W pictures (compared to the Nvidia 8600). But I was still waiting for the 17" LED MBP (which I imagine will come sometime this spring).

So I called them yesterday to see what they had left for Macbook Pros and they still had this demo for....$1700...with full warranty. For that price I figured I'd dive in now and go to the LED version down the line.

So far its a great computer with a beautiful display.

Cheers,

Sean

M

meilicke

Wow, great price. I loved my 15" MBP while I had it. Enjoy!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am excited to hear this --- I need to see if my favorite printing program, Q-Image will run on it!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately it doesn't work with Q-Image... It loads the Q program just fine, but cannot load and integrate the printer drivers and profiles for Q to use them.

:(

simonclivehughes

Hi Simon,

What about Fusion?

Cheers,

Sean
Sean,

The problem I have with both Parallels and Fusion is that you still need to have a copy of XP with all of the associated bloat. Plus, if something happens and you have to load it again, you have to deal with MS to re-activate the software. I've already had issues with this and with all of the rampant piracy, MS is loathe to believe those of us who do actually buy their products, so you are treated as a crook most of the time trying to get the product re-activated. Even with the latest version of Parallels, I found that it wasn't as smooth an integration as I would have liked.

A question for those of you using Crossover: How does the MS product activation go? Any problems?

S

Sean_Reid

Sean,

The problem I have with both Parallels and Fusion is that you still need to have a copy of XP with all of the associated bloat. Plus, if something happens and you have to load it again, you have to deal with MS to re-activate the software. I've already had issues with this and with all of the rampant piracy, MS is loathe to believe those of us who do actually buy their products, so you are treated as a crook most of the time trying to get the product re-activated. Even with the latest version of Parallels, I found that it wasn't as smooth an integration as I would have liked.

A question for those of you using Crossover: How does the MS product activation go? Any problems?
Hi Simon,

There is no MS activation because there's no Windows. Windows is not installed on the computer at all. What the program does is essentially a kind of translation. So I run BB Pro on this computer and it only has Tiger installed.

I think its worth trying programs on it even if they aren't officially supported. BB Pro isn't on their supported list but a user had contacted them reporting that the program works.

So, the program doesn't work with everything but if it does work with one's desired programs, it seems to be quite desirable.

----

Jack,

Too bad it didn't work.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

While we're sort of on the topic, is there any compelling reason for me to change to Leopard?

Cheers,

Sean

simonclivehughes

Sean,

Actually, I was referring to the activation of, for example, Office, rather that Windows itself. Unfortunately, the Crossover site specifically say "Known not to work" for the programs I want to run... bummer!

I'll echo Maggie, Time Machine is more than enough reason to upgrade. It's the easiest, most well thought out backup I've seen yet. With my recent HD crash and the upgrade to the 320GB HDD, I was back up and running no no time at all. Highly recommended!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
While we're sort of on the topic, is there any compelling reason for me to change to Leopard?

Cheers,

Sean
My older brother is a recent switcher to MAC and his iMac has Tiger on it. I suggested that he allow himself a little time to get acclimated to the MAC in Tiger since it is a mature and stable OS. Then when he's feeling pretty confident, to make the switch (or add Leopard on an external boot disk to try before committing). Balancing the little quirks that still exist in this early version of Leopard against its advantages over Tiger seems to be the decision point on which many are stuck.

I personally haven't seen anything in Leopard to make me want to switch from Tiger on my G5. But it will be moot when I receive my new Mac Pro since it will only run Leopard.

M

meilicke

My reasons for preferring Leopard:
* Time Machine
* Easier to share arbitrary folders with other computers
* VNC/Screen Sharing built in - it works very quickly, although still not as fast as Windows Remote Desktop
* Spaces - I like having multiple desktops. I find it especially useful on a notebook when I don't have an external screen attached. The keyboard shortcuts to switch between screens is fast.
* Boolean logic when searching through spotlight (AND, OR, etc)
* Quick look - very fast to preview files
* Neater organization overall. Network settings make more sense to me now, security, etc. Small stuff.

The only problem I have had was on my Mac Pro with an older ATI Card heating up. Apple replaced it for free (I'm still under apple care), and it is fine now. My mac mini and macbook are running fine.

One thing I don't like is that X11 will no longer span multiple displays, but I expect most people don't care...

-Scott