The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voltage Transformers?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm heading to one of the Fiji islands at the end of March and plan to bring my Mac Book Pro as well as a couple of different camera battery chargers. I'm pretty sure I'll need a voltage transformer and would appreciate any suggestions you can offer so I avoid disappointment after I arrive. Anyone have any experience with a device like this?

Thanks!
Tim

O

Oxide Blu

Most of your modern AC power supplies are voltage transformers. You may want to look at your power supplies for whatever you are taking abroad and see if it is rated for 220v/50Hz, the power profile on Fiji. If so, you are looking at needing adapters, something you can surely buy local on Fiji, prob set you back $10 or $15.

Example: the transformer that came with my Ricoh camera to charge the battery is rated for input of 110-240v - 50/60Hz. It will work anywhere, I just need to the proper adapter. Same for my computer's AC pwr supply -- works anywhere, just need an adapter to match prongs to the wall socket.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks OB! You are quite right. After posting this I went and did a little research and discovered that my Mac Book Pro is fine, and as you say, simply needs the correct plug arrangement. I ordered the Apple kit and so should be fine. Thanks again.

Tim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, power converters... You just wanted to brag about going to Fiji you lucky duck!

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:,

helenhill

I'd SHOOT lots of FILM.....:p
forget all that techno paraphanaelia
Unwind From The Machine
Lucky Dog You - You'll be Waggin...:ROTFL:

What happened to Wag More/ Bark less ?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Ha! In my mind I'm packing a Blad 203 FE, one of those new Linhof super cams with a sexy digital back and a roll film back, plus my M8 and a Sony a900. Unfortunately, very little of that is likely to end up in my suitcase anytime soon. Maybe I'll toss my Nikon F3 in the bag though, just to keep Helen off my case. :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Tim,
Pick up a film M to go with your M lenses.
Won't add too much weight and won't need a power converter.
(neither will you M8 or your Mac, just adapter plugs)
-bob