The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

General use bag

cjlacz

I've noticed my photography dropping off lately because I'm not carrying my camera around. My bag is getting filled more often with material for my Japanese studies. I'd like to look for another bag that could carry it with my camera.

I'd like a bag that could carry my Olympus E510 the kit lenses, A couple tall thin paperback textbooks (100-150 pages each). A couple small notebooks (like moleskines), a small netbook pc, electronic dictionary, maybe another book (large paperback size), assorted pens and pencils and 2-3 phones.

Backpack or messenger bag format is ok. I've looked around at the stores locally and haven't found anything I really like. If you've put your camera in a normal bag, do you have any good ways of protecting it and/or making it fast to access?

Dale Allyn

You might like the Tenba messenger also. They have a video demo on the site that will give you a very good idea of it's design, layout and capacity.

Tenba Messenger Bag

They have small and large versions, several colors, etc. I have a couple (or more) Tenba bags and they've been very well made.

Tenba, Domke, Billingham and others offer inserts which can be used with other bags as well. I often mix and match as needed.

cjlacz

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can find some sources locally to look at. The franken bag with inserts might work well. Finding the perfect bag is a never ending quest.

MrSlezak

I’m really happy with my choice, but not sure it would work for everyone then again if you’re looking at the "Frankenbag" - I have been using a Filson bag with Domke insert for the body and Domke wraps for lenses. My goals were:

-- Does not look like a camera bag
-- Can double as a ‘work’ bag for laptop / travel /etc…
-- Is not heavy when empty

I have two different Filson bags I rotate between

-- Original Briefcase
-- Large Briefcase

depending on if it is day to day use, or travel. The bags are nondescript and don’t stand out as camera, and they hold enough to double as a carry on for laptop and such on a flight. I also have Padded Briefcase bag, but it is heavy when empty which defeats my desire for a light bag.

The Domke inserts fit in the bag no problem and you can mix and match them or go with their wraps or any of the kind like them.

If you go this route, the strap and canvas will break in overtime and the bag will hug your waist. I looked hard at the Billingham bags before I went this route.

Filson isn’t a national chain, so you might have to look around for a place if you want to check out one before you buy. Try places that sell hunting gear – their real focus is outdoor ware / hunting gear.