The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1.5 tb drives what brand?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Exactly it is a great question. I will make a internal partition and try it worst case i can just store data there like my documents or something like that.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I would not bother partitioning an SSD drive -- access is direct and hence the partition simply shouldn't matter.

Guy Mancuso

My original thought Jack , just not sure it would really add value since there is no platters.I have a lot of testing this week and i will report for sure on the SSD tests. Fingers crossed i turn this into a rocket.

O

Oxide Blu

I was looking around to see what I could find on how SSDs handle directories -- I'm thinking there isn't any, only directory specifiers for bookkeeping purposes. Anyway, I stumbled onto this:

August 28, 2008 - IBM said Thursday it is testing a 4-terabyte, high-speed solid-state drive array targeted at the enterprise, as the technology giant gives its imprimatur to flash-memory-based storage.

You have choices. :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Anyone wanna buy a house. Man that may cost a small fortune. LOL

Yes there is not much info on SSD like we use them . Interesting to see what happens

O

Oxide Blu

I use my desktop as a repository for processed files sometimes, so I like it both big and fast. Plus I am impatient and stuff launches even faster :D

I was thinking about your scheme for striping the OS across RAID O drives. I've decided what we need is solid state memory onboard specifically for the OS. It's small, and cheap, something like a 16GB stick memory built into the motherboard just to house the OS and applications. That will be as fastest access as you can get to load the OS and applications, and free up the bus for harddrive/SSD access of data files.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking about your scheme for striping the OS across RAID O drives. I've decided what we need is solid state memory onboard specifically for the OS. It's small, and cheap, something like a 16GB stick memory built into the motherboard just to house the OS and applications. That will be as fastest access as you can get to load the OS and applications, and free up the bus for harddrive/SSD access of data files.
Agreed, except 16G is not big enough -- some of us load a lot of software and in the case of Mac, many of us load an entire Windoze OS inside a program like Fusion. So here, the Samsung 256G drive is probably ideal.

Ben Rubinstein

Well I wasn't fast enough to change my spanned volumes set up. Had been waiting too long to find a HD to offload the stuff onto before starting again from scratch. The software raid got corrupted and the spanned volumes failed. Now I have 99% of the stuff backed up but the hours of work on a recent wedding are gone (I have the files of course but not my work on them) as well as the recent stuff I'd done on my website. More annoyance than anything else, the files are backed up but the wedding work is many hours to redo. I'm running a search using R-Studio which works on the physical hard drives to recover not using the windows file structures (the disks aren't recognised at present). We'll see what happens.

That's it for RAID for me though. I've learn my lesson that when the raid controller goes your information is toast. From now on my main working hard drive will be striped for performance and backed up every night to two seperate HD's via a USB connection. Redundancy without the hassle of RAID.

What's the word about terebyte disks these days? Which are best? What about backup software that just backs up changes made during the day to an external drive without any encyrption or other software nonsense?