The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

hard cases with wheels

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I'm headed back to Russia this summer can someone recommend a hard case with wheels that might hold a M8, A900, laptop, accessories and lenses? Something I can carry on...thanks

Lars

Carry-on regulations are tighter overseas, and more importantly they are being enforced more strongly than inside the US. So it might be a good idea to make sure the case is padded enough (and lockable enough) to check in, in case you are asked to.

My worst experience was Melbourne, my backpack was 550 grams overweight and they wouldn't let me even approach security check. Back to check-in ask to have my checked baggage retrieved, move a few things over and then try again. Kinda ironic since I had checked four large cases, total 114 kilograms.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the tip...I think I can carry on two bags and check one, at least thats what I did last year. Its a direct flight from Atlanta to Moscow so I only had to deal with it once each way. I bought a Think Tank International V2. It looks like it will fill the bill. I can pack my chargers, cables, tripod in the checked luggage.
This will make my 5th trip to Russia and I think my last.

Lars

Yep intercontinental flights shouldn't be a problem (unless flying from Melbourne hehe). Much tighter within Europe.

I'm planning for a trip to Scotland via Malta in early June. We'll be flying Ryanair because it's dirt cheap (some chairs on some flights are actually priced at 0 EUR before taxes and fees), but that means paying extra for everything including luggage. Calling customer service is 50c/minute. They tried to add a coin lock to the restrooms on their airplanes, but Boeing couldn't make one - Ryanair's CEO was noticeably annoyed with Boeing about that.

Ryanair's regulations say you can check up to five bags for about 14 EUR each, but total weight has to be max 15 kg. That's going to be tricky, considering it's a ten-day stay. My Toyo 8x10 monorail is 9 kgs alone, so that's out for sure. I'll probably bring the D700 and two lenses, but can't bring a computer. Maybe it's time to invest in really cheap, slow CF cards.

bradhusick

Try to wear a jacket or vest with big pockets. You can transfer some of the weight from your carry-ons to the pockets in case you're a little over the limit.