The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mac Update 10.5.7 is out

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay downloaded , installed and working just fine. It did reboot 2 times before final boot up but I seem to be running good and feels snappier. There is a safari update as well.Do that after the Mac update

http://www.macrumors.com/

ALSO BACKUP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING:thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay I have done the update for the OS and everything seems to be working just fine. One thing of note if you do the update your machine will try and reboot 2 times before it finally reboots up. This seems to be very normal. Also after the update there is Safari update for 3.2.3 or for the new Beta which I just installed and working good. Biggest issue I have seen as far as bitching and moaning was it is slow to update and the reboot 2 times. But the only bad thing I saw ws a stuck resolution on monitors but I think very isolated. Not a lot of bitching and moaning. My wifi is certainly better for starters and the system seems snappier. Suggest doing a clone of what you have on drive to a external. Run repair permissions before updating than do it again as soon as you finally boot up with new update. good luck but all seems well and actually was waiting for this update daily. Seems improvements are done
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/05/12/apple_releases_mac_os_x_10_5_7_update.html
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3397

jonoslack

HI There Guy
Different experience here (of course)
I downloaded the update rather than using Software update (got several machines to do).
installed the update (took 3mins) - only one reboot and no obvious issues since, tried:
Capture one
Aperture
office
Fusion
and all the normal stuff.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just loaded it up on my desktop. Had the same experience as Guy in that my machine appeared to attempt a few boots before actually launching. Everything seems normal now, and I definitely noted mail and safari seem to run more spiffily.

PS: Note that after any major software install, I do a few manual re-boots regardless.

woodyspedden

I just loaded my desktop as well and apart from the starts and stops when installing it finally booted up to the desktop and "voila" no problems.

Safari is like lightning with the new beta and the new OS. WOW!

Woody Spedden

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I just loaded my desktop as well and apart from the starts and stops when installing it finally booted up to the desktop and "voila" no problems.

Safari is like lightning with the new beta and the new OS. WOW!

Woody Spedden
Just upgraded...first patches accessible files then it boots into a protected environment where inaccessible system files ( when running ) can be replaced or patched and finally boots to the upgraded system...very smooth.

If all the upgrades in my life were this clean I would be very happy.

Bob

jonoslack

I'm fascinated by this
you all seem to have had a different experience
On my MBP 17" unibody, it unpacked from the disk image in about 3 or 4 minutes and then asked for a reboot - nothing else, no protected mode, no extra reboots.

Odd!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm fascinated by this
you all seem to have had a different experience
On my MBP 17" unibody, it unpacked from the disk image in about 3 or 4 minutes and then asked for a reboot - nothing else, no protected mode, no extra reboots.

Odd!
yes jono,

the first reboot was on the order of a minute with no apple logo then restarted with the happy apple and cosmic screen...only a few minutes in toto.

I have just purchased a HP mini netbook and keep thinking if it were more that $379 USD I would dump it for a Mac...only need it for email and net when traveling.

Hope Apple address this market at some point...my iPhone is not adequate for international travel.

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just loaded it on my MacBook Pro and it only took the one boot -- so interesting stuff going on. It may need to do the reboots to re-arrange files on certain systems appropriately? Anyway it loads either way, and I got the same boost to Safari and Mail on the laptop too.

:thumbs:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Wow.... you guys are trusting.....! :D

I am somewhat new to Macs, but in fairness, I would never install a brand new OS upgrade on the day it comes out. :shocked:

In former times ... :ROTFL: .... on windows service pack releases.... I waited at minimum 2-3 weeks to see what can go wrong and possible fixes.

jonoslack

Wow.... you guys are trusting.....! :D

I am somewhat new to Macs, but in fairness, I would never install a brand new OS upgrade on the day it comes out. :shocked:

In former times ... :ROTFL: .... on windows service pack releases.... I waited at minimum 2-3 weeks to see what can go wrong and possible fixes.
Hi Georg
Aren't we just - I quite agree - I never did (or do) install Windows service packs for at least a month or so.

I can only remember one problem with an apple update - 2 or 3 years ago, it was not that important, and was fixed within 2 or 3 days.

I guess we're all trusting . . . .because we've learned to trust!

Scott G

I installed the update on my iMac yesterday, and it has crashed 3 times since.....this is exactly 3 times more than it has crashed in the past 2 years.

Does anyone have any ideas?

jonoslack

I installed the update on my iMac yesterday, and it has crashed 3 times since.....this is exactly 3 times more than it has crashed in the past 2 years.

Does anyone have any ideas?
HI There Scott
First thing to do is to 'repair permissions'

Applications / Utilities / Disk utiility

click on the Macintosh HD, and the repair permissions option should be there

Second thing to do is . . .erm . . ask Jack!

robsteve

Subscriber
Is Safari now faster than Firefox? I have been using Firefox since I moved to a Mac about a year ago because Safari seemed to be a bit slower on rendering the pages.

Which version of Safari should I be using?

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber
How long does this update take? I chose the update option and it shows the updated dowloaded, but there doesn't seem to be any progress bar and it didn't ask me for the root password.

When I mouse over the update window, the mouse icon changes to a colour wheel. Is my machine hung or does it just take a long time to do this update?

Robert

stephengilbert

Rob,

I used the download from the Apple site, then installed it from my desktop. It was fairly long, but I'd read it was quicker than downloading through the software update function.

Steve

robsteve

Subscriber
The spinning wheel has been there about twenty minutes now. Still no prompt for the root/administrator password. Does it ever ask for the password?

Does any progress bar ever show up?

Is it maybe just downloading more files and the web is slow?

This is not typical Apple for friendly UI. It should show some sort of progress window so you know it is working and not hung.

I have work to do this morning and didn't need this. I am on my old thinkpad now.

Robert