The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Macbook Pros

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I bit the other bullet and ordered a 17 inch MBP with the matte screen and the 500GB 7200 rpm drive. 8GB upgrade kit was ordered from OWC.
Will see how it does after it arrives on Monday.
-bob

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
:) congrats Bob, stunning maschine, 8Gig, I had no idea that fits into them, I think mine, July 2008, is limitted to 4Gig.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes indeed, I'm running 6G in my late 2007 2.6GHz MBP and it made a notable improvement.

Terry

Today Apple released a firmware update for the new MacBook Pros. It addressed the issue of the newly reduced SATA speed from SATA II to SATA. I am running the Intel X25M drive which is one of the drives that will benefit from the faster speed. However Apple is now saying they don't "support" these drives (whatever!). Anyway, I ran xbench on the disk performance before and after.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wow, a significant difference. I can't believe Apple really thought their user base would be so stupid as to not figure this out...

LJL

And what is their reason for supposedly downstepping back to SATA from SATA II? This makes no sense. If I am understanding this, they originally specd machines for SATA II, then released a firmware update that supposedly respecs them for SATA, but actually has them outperforming original specs?? Sure the firmware was not to boost everything to SATA II instead of SATA? This seems all backwards somehow.

LJ

Terry

And what is their reason for supposedly downstepping back to SATA from SATA II? This makes no sense. If I am understanding this, they originally specd machines for SATA II, then released a firmware update that supposedly respecs them for SATA, but actually has them outperforming original specs?? Sure the firmware was not to boost everything to SATA II instead of SATA? This seems all backwards somehow.

LJ
No, the last batch of MacBooks and MacBook Pros were SATA II. When the new 13" and 15" machines were launched on June 8th, these machines were released with SATA. This change in specs didn't impact those with regular hard drives or some of the slower SSDs on Apples build to order options. It did impact those who went out and bought the better, newer, faster crop of SSD's like the Intel X-25 series.

I bought a 13" and swapped the drive before we knew the issue. The swap from the regular HD to the Intel SSD made a very, very significant difference in speed. However, at SATA speeds the drive was faster than the interface allowed it to run.

The chipsets in the old and new machines are exactly the same which led to the speculation that a firmware update could be accomplished. Indeed Apple did issue new firmware for the new machines today. In my test above you can see that the new firmware boosted the score in the disk test by 25%.

LJL

Terry,
Still not understanding this. If a machine was built to handle SATA II, it could always run drives and stuff of SATA or SATA II speeds. If it was built to SATA speed, that is all it would deliver, and the drive or whatever would throttle itself back to SATA if it was a SATA II compliant drive. They are backward compatible (SATA II to SATA). What does not make sense is Apple building new machines at slower spec speeds, and then issuing a firmware update that is supposed to render faster things non-compliant, but it actually winds up delivering the faster speeds. So your new 13" MBP originally had SATA or SATA II specs? (From what you say, it was SATA.) Yet it was running a SATA II device that only got faster with the firmware update that was supposed to render things non-compliant? Huh?

LJ

Terry

The chipsets apparently were SATA II (as the chips are exactly the same as the unibody machines available before June 8th which had SATA II) but Apple apparently through firmware pulled it back to SATA speed on the brand new machines.

We will never know why they did this.

Today, they issued new firmware which took the speed back to SATA II.

The warning that some faster drives are not supported would give them an out if there are data errors that come from something in OS X that has a problem running at that speed. The SSD drives that Apple uses in build to order are slower and probably barely get to the top end of SATA.

LJL

That makes more sense once you explain that part. My guess is that the chipset used probably could handle the fastest drives and stuff, but the software/firmware was a way to downclock things to ensure no data transfer losses or disruptions.....when it probably was not really needed at all. So this firmware update was really to bring things to SATA II from the forced SATA configuration. That was the part that was not clear in how you presented things. The machines (old and new) were SATA II capable, and the firmware released today for the newest machines was really to remove the governor that had things running at SATA speeds. That makes sense.

LJ

P.S. glad you got the speed boost, as it looks impressive.

LJL

Ah....that was probably one of those 95+ degree days we have been having here in Houston when I was out all day repainting stuff on my motorcycle trailer. So between the heat and the fumes, I probably did not carefully read all those red bars and words in the post ;-) I was merely going on what you said today, and it just seemed backwards to logic, but then Apple was being backwards in its latest delivery of MBPs......an SD slot??? Anyway, glad you are closer to an expected higher speed performance.

LJ

Terry

Just a quick MBP update.

This is my first SSD drive machine. It is weird to have something so silent :clap:

But the reason for this post is heat...this is the coolest running notebook I've ever had. After running for a while there is a bit or warmth but nothing like the heat I've had with my other Mac Books or Mac Book Pros. :clap:

Finally, I LIKE having an SD slot - for some of my cameras. :D I know some people needed the express card slot but it wasn't going to happen on the 13" anyway.

I know there isn't a lot of screen real estate on the 13" but I did fine with it on the Northern Arizona workshop and I think the specs/price are a home run.

I'm still interested to see what Apple comes up with in the netbook arena :p

Lars

I'm still interested to see what Apple comes up with in the netbook arena :p
Aren't we all... :) It's not hard to understand why that is something Apple has avoided though. Cheap devices, tiny profit margins. Apple would want to change the game somehow. Which, as you point out, is why it will be interesting to see if/when Apple enters that arena. The company is all about finding/creating markets with high margins though. A plain vanilla netbook won't be it.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I love my new 17 inch matte MBP,
I worry about apple's fixation on shiny things.
-bob

Terry

Aren't we all... :) It's not hard to understand why that is something Apple has avoided though. Cheap devices, tiny profit margins. Apple would want to change the game somehow. Which, as you point out, is why it will be interesting to see if/when Apple enters that arena. The company is all about finding/creating markets with high margins though. A plain vanilla netbook won't be it.
Aaah but an oversized iPhone type device would :thumbup:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
If you depend on a shirt pocket to tote it around, no.
But... If you are accustomed to carrying a handbag I suppose it might.
-bob