The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is this the tethered shooting of the future?

D

ddk

I don't know about this one but the current (or previous depending on your pov) generation is too slow in use to be of any real benefit.

Shooting tethered needs a computer and screen of some sort, wether its wired or not isn't going to change things much.

Terry

I don't know about this one but the current (or previous depending on your pov) generation is too slow in use to be of any real benefit.

Shooting tethered needs a computer and screen of some sort, wether its wired or not isn't going to change things much.
But then the camera doesn't have to support tethered shooting....or with a simple app, the iphone can become a mobile storage device that could also upload to your iDisk in the background. Just seems like as they improve the tech a lot of out of the box thinking can go on.

LJL

Terry,
All of this is possible, but somehow, when it actually comes down to executing things, the final products never seem to deliver what we imagined and hoped for. This Eye-Fi device looked so cool when introduced a while back, and upgrades have improved performance, but I think folks still find it dog slow and sketchy at times. It appears to be a consumer product for sending smallish files. Not saying it could not work as you are describing, but there are so many other stars that must align for that to happen, that there will most likely be some other solution by then. Sorry if that sounds cynical, but I am a devoted futurist dreamer for stuff like this, and keep getting so disappointed when I finally see the execution of some of these things.

LJ

D

ddk

I hope so, it would be great to be able to use iPhone's screen for viewing and storage someday but right now, something like this is most useful to the average user, who can connect to a wifi printer like the Epson Artisan and print their pictures without a computer. There's still a question of bandwidth.

LJL

David,
There are some iPhone apps and some other things built by third parties that actually do this now. In fact, one solution will even allow you to do edits from the iPhone while processing in C1 on a computer.....all done wirelessly. Very cool tech. I just am not sure if this device is up to that....yet. Bottom line, WiFi or BT is nice, but it still lacks the speed and throughput for folks with demanding tasks or very large files. We are heading in that direction, but lots of bumps on the road.

LJ

D

ddk

David,
There are some iPhone apps and some other things built by third parties that actually do this now. In fact, one solution will even allow you to do edits from the iPhone while processing in C1 on a computer.....all done wirelessly. Very cool tech. I just am not sure if this device is up to that....yet. Bottom line, WiFi or BT is nice, but it still lacks the speed and throughput for folks with demanding tasks or very large files. We are heading in that direction, but lots of bumps on the road.

LJ
I've seen some of those apps, iPhone just doesn't have the processing power for anything serious right now and I agree with you that we're very far from getting there anytime soon. I've already tried to adapt $2000 micro PCs for this kind of thing and even they're too slow for my needs.

LJL

One more thought from another article I was reading..... A lot of this innovation gets lost or discarded because there is not enough of a commercial market to make it mainstream. Not saying this device is there, but it happens. Apple, who usually takes strong directional shifts has adopted and then discarded things. The EC/34 slot is an example on the newer MacBook Pros. Except for the bit older 17" model, it is now gone on the newer ones. Why? Good tech with lots of flexibility, etc. Apple dumped it because, as they put it, "a single digit percentage use" makes it not worth supporting on their machines any longer. Us photog types that try to work on that bleeding edge are almost always part of that very small percentage tail of distribution and use. So we try to adopt "kewl stuff", only to have the support crumble beneath us shortly after. Tough place to be. Answer: manufacturers will build for the masses, as that is where the volume of sales will be.

LJ

D

ddk

There was a saying when I was in high end sales;

Sell to the classes, live with the masses or sell to the masses and live with the classes! I think it holds true for every field today.

Terry

I say the iPhone but I'm really looking further ahead to a giant iPhone tablet and in my dreams it runs a hybrid of the iPhone and full OS X and that will perhaps make our dreams one step closer to reality.