The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which Carbon Fibre monopod should I get?

Henry Goh

I'm no longer as stable or strong as I used to be so I either use a tripod or monopod whenever I shoot. I want to get a light monopod so thought a CF version may be desirable. I like my Gitzo CF tripod so one likely brand is Gitzo but am open to suggestions. If you guys are using CF monopods with you MFDB cameras, please share with me your experience. Thanks.

Henry Goh

Hey Guy,
Do you use a head on it or just some QR plate? Also, are the sections locked the same way as a Gitzo, meaning just a few twists..

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I use a QR plate but actually a screw down type. Just a few twist but not like a G leg which you can do in any order. This you start at the top and work down. Hopefully I described that correctly . The Gitzo G legs here is the description

The G-Lock mechanism has been completely redesigned in order to achieve a 20% increase in rigidity, faster operation and stronger, safer locking. G-Lock's special design also provides a "gravity lock" effect: the higher the load applied vertically to the leg, the stronger the lock.
• 1mm Gitzo 6X Carbon Fiber Tube
Gitzo was able to develop a six-crossed multilayer carbon fiber 30% lighter than the previous 1.5mm generation that features the same exceptional performance of stability and vibration absorption and unbeatable quality.
• Anti-Rotation Leg (ALR) System
The Anti-Rotation Leg (ALR) system makes it quick and easy to open and close the monopod. Simply turn all of the locking rings at once and the whole leg can be pulled out in seconds.