The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EIZO or Quato?

thomas

I have heard that the AdobeRGB units have a bit of a different 'look' when compared to conventional gamut displays. Anyone able to elaborate on that?
That's true. Wide Gamut Displays are much more sensible to cyan and magenta "cast" due to the higher saturated primary colours. This is why the conventional white point targets do not work for wide gamut displays unless the calibration software provides correction tables.
For example: my CG241W is calibrated to something close to 5400K with Eizos "Color Navigator" (with correction tables). When I measure the white point with the same measurement device with the software "BasICColor Display 4" the measured white point is around 5000K. When I measure the white point with Quatos software "IColor Display" set to preset "LCD display" the measured white point is again around 5000K. When I set the Quato software to the preset of one of Quatos wide gamut displays the measured white point is 5800K.
This is why it is essential to use either the manufacturers calibration software for wide gamut displays or to use a spectrometer (which is the worse alternative in this particular case).
The white point thing regarding wide gamut displays is discussed in one of Eizos "white papers" that you should find on their website.
Further in a non color managed workflow wide gamut displays show sRGB files oversaturated. A thorough color managed workflow - even for the web browser - is a must with wide gamut displays.

Stuart Richardson

I have to agree JL -- I've never heard it before and that line sounds suspiciously like a slick salesman's line designed to sell more Eizo's...
I REALLY did not get that impression from him, and I think have a pretty good read on these things. He recommended the NEC very highly and said it is a superb monitor with great specs. He said it worked extremely well, but that they did not have the long term stability of the Eizo monitors. It is not that they magically stop working, it is that their response beings to drift earlier, and if you want to stay on top of it, you need to calibrate much more regularly. He said that for color critical work in a professional environment, he would recommend replacing them after 2 years, where he felt Eizo's were generally good for four. Obviously he could be lying, but that seems really unlikely to me. Even if he is wrong, he pretty clearly believed what he was saying.

thomas

I heard the same about the NECs...
Too, the NECs might have problems with too low luminance level. Maybe not all models (for sure not the 21'' SV Reference) but at least you should check. E.g. the 26'' WUXi is hard to set lower than 140cd/qm with accurate results.

J

jjlphoto

Since we were talking about longevity, I just contacted the Eizo tech rep about my Eizo ColorEdge CG21. Bear in mind that I bought my Eizo in 2004. Here is his reply:

.....The Cg21 is a workhorse. The Monitor has a 30,000 usage time (in theory, this would mean the half-life of the backlight). Keeping it turned off is best, especially making sure the backlight is not on......You should be able to use into 20,000 no problem.....

woodyspedden

I have an Eizo ColorEdge CG21. "ColorEdge" line means it is the pro level series. "CG" does not mean AdobeRGB gamut however. The monitors are specified in the description whether it is an AdobeRGB capable display.

It is a great display, and rated for quite a long lifespan. I bought it back when there were only a handful of good LCDs to choose from. People were still steered towards the Sony Artisan for critical use.

Today, Eizo's appear pricey by comparison, and others have caught up. The better money seems to indicate the NEC SpectraView series is equally capable and they are quite less in price. NEC SpectraView monitors are NEC's flagship MultiSync monitors bundled with NEC SpectraView calibration software and a dedicated colorimeter. The dedicated colorimeter is a customized GMB i1 Display device with special filters added for use with their AdobeRGB displays.

NEC has both 26" and 30" models, and both are available only as AdobeRGB models.
Hey John

Nice to see a picture of you after all these years of talking back and forth, buying and selling each other's gear etc.

Welcome to GetDPI

Best

Woody

V

Vivek

Folks, a quick note. A Quato is on its way to me.

5 year warranty (currently applies only to Germany, Austria and Switzerland but Quato said they will honor it (Netherlands) when I approach them with the German dealer's receipt).

S-IPS panel and with a great colorimeter package. I am so looking forward to this.

I appreciate all the discussion here (particular from Stuart, a big Thank you!:)) that broadened my understanding and sharpened my requirements (Thomas, Thanks again!).

Stuart Richardson

Congratulations Vivek! Please let us know how it works for you. I don't think there are too many on the English speaking boards who have Quato's, so it will be nice to hear some experiences.

V

Vivek

Thank you, Stuart.

The monitor is plugged in now (I will have to upgrade my antique computer).

In a few weeks, after I have gone through a few tests and prints, I will post my experience here.

At the moment, it is very good.

Straight off, I can say that Quato will not be appealing to most. For starters, they sent one printed (looks like it was printed of a desk jet):

"Kurzanleitung" (English: "brief instructions") in German though the very page is available in their website in English as well. The whole hardware was packed very well but very concisely.

Rest is all in PDF format and what a horrible thing that is! They just took a few powerpoint presentation (if you have heard an average German giving a lecture using power point, you would know how exciting that would be)! :confused:

Since I am familiar with German (not just the language), I think I can work through it all and get my set up going in a few weeks.

Overall, for me, at this stage, it is an excellent purchase. :)