The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

card reader

jlm

Workshop Member
what are you guru's using? i tried a usb version and it was very slow compared to my pc's with built in card ports. btw, why doesn't mac, with it's graphics user alignment offer a built-in card reader?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I found a SanDisk reader at Wally world that works just fine. It reads something like 14 different types of cards.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
They may be the same thing, but B&H distributes a sandisk version of the expresscard reader. Some have said that the sandisk version is a bit better than the delkin version that I have owned and lost. They look, other than label, identical.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
What's nice about them is you don't need to carry a USB reader which is a pain. I just leave mine in all the time

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks, although the apple site list a "horrible, horrible..." review of the belkin they sell. also doesn't make it clear whether it handles CF as well as SD cards i'll get over there and check it out
the other link to the Sandisk version does not include CF.

keep that in mind if you go Nikon, Guy

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
thanks, although the apple site list a "horrible, horrible..." review of the belkin they sell. also doesn't make it clear whether it handles CF as well as SD cards i'll get over there and check it out
the other link to the Sandisk version does not include CF.

keep that in mind if you go Nikon, Guy
Yea for CF i bring a card reader. My Belkin will handle the Transcend cards and yes i read the same terrible stuff also

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have found Delkin (that's Delkin with a "D", NOT the same as Belkin with a "B"!) readers to be the fastest, even on USB2. I have a brand new Sandisk combo CF/SD reader I thought would be super for traveling, but it is notably slower than my Delkin eFilm 16-in-one USB2 reader and not really that much smaller at the end of the day... For sure, my fastest reader is the express-card SD reader.