The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Snow Leopard

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
This is going to push me to get an Intel based Pro for editing work since I can't up grade my older iMac.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The only program I'm worried about right now is C1 . Seems like everything is working from the beta testers that I have on my box but not sure of C1

D

ddk

This is going to push me to get an Intel based Pro for editing work since I can't up grade my older iMac.
Just make sure that all your software runs on Intel based Macs John. In my case I still need to run a G5 machine side by side the Intel one, many of the software that I had from small entities will never be Intel or Leopard compatible, heck my Fuji camera software isn't even compatible with OSX 10.5. The biggest hurdle when I first got the Intel machine and Leopard were my printer drivers, it took a long time for them to catch up and some like my Pictrography machines still aren't Leopard compatible and probably will never be.

Here's a tidbit from the Apple site, it seems like the printer drivers will get hit again and your existing PCI cards will probably see no speed benefit:

32-bit compatible.

To ensure simplicity and flexibility, Mac OS X still comes in one version that runs both 64-bit and 32-bit applications. So you don’t need to update everything on your system just to run a single 64-bit program. And new 64-bit applications work just fine with your existing storage devices, PCI cards, and Snow Leopard-compatible printers.

Godfrey

Saw the announcements earlier.
I guess it will be included when I buy an Intel-based system now. ;-)

I have no real need for an upgrade just at the moment. The extra performance will be welcome, but I'm not hurting for it in any way that I can see.

R

Ranger 9

The technical websites have made it clear that most of the improvements are "under the hood" and are aimed at cleaning up the code base for the convenience of Apple and other developers. (Although built-in Exchange support will be a big deal if it works smoothly.)

That's why they are pitching this as a $29 update, rather than a full $149 new system version. They want as many Intel/Leopard users as possible to adopt it, so developers will be able to take advantage of the cleaner code as quickly as possible.