The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Snow Leopard : Tips, tricks and whatever else we need to know

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
yes thanks Carlos that was the trick for me. Took a bit longer but better off in the end than playing the password port game. Thanks

One issue I did run across and this could be the driver itself but my e-sata express card Caldigit is the brand when booting in 64 bit my externals won't show up connected to the e-sata . In 32 bit no problem. Not sure what to make of that.

I did check there site and downloaded the latest drivers for Snow

etrigan63

Hmmm, sounds like they are 32-bit drivers or still hybrid 32/64 (requiring 32-kernel but accessing 64-bit extensions). I suspect that many OEMs will be scrambling to put out full 64-drivers for the next 6 months or more.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
In a weak moment, I loaded the frosty cat. So far, so good (time machine is still doing its thing in the background so not a good time for speed testing).

One cool little tip: finally, after all this time, you can get the date to appear in the menu bar across the top, next to the time. Go to the Date and Time preference and in the clock tab you'll find a new checkbox that lets you put the date next to the time.

One issue I did run across and this could be the driver itself but my e-sata express card Caldigit is the brand when booting in 64 bit my externals won't show up connected to the e-sata . In 32 bit no problem. Not sure what to make of that.

I did check there site and downloaded the latest drivers for Snow
No answer there. We had Caldigit send out a new drive. They are aware of the problem.

R

Ranger 9

Incidentally, I took my Snow-Leopardized laptop to work today and, just for a laugh, connected it up to the corporate LAN to see if it really does work with an Exchange 2007 server.

It does. Setting it up was so easy it was kind of spooky.

Assuming your Exchange 2007 server is set up for auto-discovery (which I think is the default) then all you need to know are the name of the server (which I found out by looking at a Windows PC) and your user ID and password, which presumably you already know. Then you just launch Mail and set up a new account using these settings; it also prompts you to set up connections to the Exchange calendar and address book, if you want.

All this took about 30 seconds and four or five clicks, and -- with no help at all from the IT department -- suddenly I had an Exchange mailbox in Mail, plus all my saved Exchange folders in the sidebar. My Exchange appointments and to-dos mysteriously appeared in iCal, along with the capability to send out meeting invitations and check the availability of other users and conference rooms. Meanwhile, Address Book acquires your Exchange contact list, and the ability to search your corporate directory -- just start typing and names appear almost immediately.

(When you go home, uncheck the Exchange accounts and it all disappears so it's out of your way.)

Up until now I had to deal with Exchange via the very feature-limited Outlook Web Access, but Snow Leopard makes my MacBook a full-fledged citizen of the corporate network.

It won't be beneficial to everyone, but for cubicle-dwellers this is a big win for Snow Leopard, and it works just as effortlessly and smoothly as advertised.

monza

It's actually easier to set up Exchange on SL than on a PC. :) But I guess that isn't too surprising...

Guy Mancuso

Going back a bit here my Raid O set was created in Leopard and my X-Bench score are 211 now and they used to be 239. I'm questioning the Raid set being done in Leopard now and maybe untangle them and redo them in Snow instead. I got a weird feeling. I have my usually experts on it now for advice Bob, Jack and Lloyd.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
A number of folks are reporting lower XBench scores, which may be an artifact of the weighting that XBench uses or perhaps something peculiar about the benchmark itself.
Many users are attributing this lower score to dramatically lower OpenGL numbers.
-bob

monza

Xbench is just a reference, it only is useful when using the same version of the OS. Even then it's not necessarily a completely accurate representation of actual speed.

This anomaly used to happen with MacBench many years ago under OS 9 as well.

In my former life as a hardware developer for Macs (CPU upgrades) I found nothing worked better than real-life speed tests. Those tests are dependent on what the primary application the computer is used for. In our field since we were focused on CPUs we used CPU intensive software (complicated Photoshop actions, After Effects, etc.) Since we tested in the same exact system and simply swapped CPUs, the hard drive, memory and video all remained the same and the only variation were the CPU(s) themselves.

In this case since the hardware remains unchanged and only the OS changed, I'd still recommend using real apps for speed tests. But unless those tests were done under Leopard first, before installing Snow, it's too late (unless one has multiple identical boot drives, one with Leopard and one with Snow.)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Synthetic benchmarks are pretty meaningless.
We used to even write compilers to detect certain of them and emit special code.
Better to use a real application realistically to make a more meaningful measurement.
OTOH, sometimes they are of forensic value to pinpoint an anomaly.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

I guess you guys are right I am suspecting X bench to not be very accurate to begin with. Let me time a c1 conversion maybe that will give me a clue

Guy Mancuso

Just opened a 194 mg file in a spilt second in Preview and also tried it to open in Safari . Okay they are both 64 bit and fast as hell. Need to try this. Just right click on a image and open in preview

etrigan63

FTR, Xbench is reporting a 20 pt. performance drop on my Mac Pro as well. I suspect that Xbench will need an update to be able to more accurately gauge 64-bit performance.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
TIP:

There seems to be some confusion about 32 vs. 64 and which macs can or can't. I found this little bit of shareware that might prove handy for those of us less tech savvy than some. It will tell you whether your mac is capable of 64 and if so, whether it's currently booting into 64 or 32. Plus, it allows you to select which mode you want to boot into. When you restart it will confirm the change when you open it again. Pretty nifty little control.

Also, it might bear repeating that to boot into 64 you can do the same thing by simply holding down the 6 and 4 keys on startup (or the 3 and 2 keys).

Find the utility here: http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English/Programs/SMS/SMS.html

Guy Mancuso

FTR, Xbench is reporting a 20 pt. performance drop on my Mac Pro as well. I suspect that Xbench will need an update to be able to more accurately gauge 64-bit performance.
Carlos love ya and thanks for that. But being the guinea pig i am and just to make sure our members know all the ins and outs. The idiot here is untangling my Raid O from leopard which is a question mark and redoing it in Snow Leopard but at least i can clean my drives off which honestly may have something lingering like stinky feet. Than I will install the DVD OS back on the main Raid O volume . Than from there I will migrate from my current Snow Leopard backup. This maybe a complete waste of time and effort and may proof absolutely nothing but I got a bug up my you know what and i can go to sleep at night knowing I did about as clean a install as possibly human. Which means nothing to anyone but I can get it off my mind. Than I can tell all of you to just upgrade with confidence. Someone has to step in the pig crap to make others smell better. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: