The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Snow Leopard : Tips, tricks and whatever else we need to know

R

Ranger 9

TIP:
There seems to be some confusion about 32 vs. 64 and which macs can or can't...
As long as we're at it, let's clear up any potential confusion (which I haven't been seeing here, but HAVE seen in other places) about "64 is better than 32 because it's more, and more is better."

Here's what Apple says on this topic:

For many developers, however, compiling their code into 64-bit programs may not offer any inherent advantages. Unless your program needs more than 4 GB of addressable memory, supporting 64-bit pointers may only reduce the performance of your application.
This quote came from a blog post by Adobe's John Nack, titled "A 64-Bit Reality Check" (you have to scroll down a bit to read it.) It also includes a link to the original Apple document that includes a "common misconceptions" section.

Reading these may help with any impatience people may be feeling for "Why hasn't my developer issued a 64-bit version of _______ yet?"

Eventually, 64-bit will be a good thing because it will enable developers to release applications that can address huge amounts of memory, which is generally a handy thing for image-processing applications.

Until then, it's likely that most of the speed benefit many of us are seeing from Snow Leopard is because of the cleaned-up, more-tightly-optimized code... which will benefit 32-bit as well as 64-bit apps.

R

Ranger 9

My car feels faster too after I wash it.
-bob
A clean car has significantly lower aerodynamic drag. May not make a tangible difference unless you do most of your driving on the Bonneville Salt Flats, though.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay I have everything working and almost all my software back. Two little programs I use Fetch is not ready and Letterbox for mail is not ready . Other than that one glitch in C1 and that is the progress bar separates but it is faster to process even without new 64 bit code. One program I had to install Rosetta was Eye One 3.6.1 needed Rosetta and also on boot the reminder to calibrate come up every time. Dowloaded 3.6.2 and that reminder went away but it still says PowerPC so you can instal without Rosetta and if it needs it than it will go out and get it on the internet and download. These are the little nits and nothing major.

I do have one Major issue and that is the e-sata express card I have a Caldigit adapter card. At first my drives would not show up, went to download there driver and got them back up. This is not a Snow Leopard driver yet but booting normally I have them up. Now try booting in 64 Bit and I lose those drives. So just waiting for a new driver to be able to do that.

Other than that I am actually pleased with it, it is snappier and of course that is hard to tell on my machine since I am running SSD in Raid O. But we have to remember who this upgrade is really for and it is not the end user but for developers to be able to write code better and faster to market, plus it makes the machine more bullet proof. For a photographer exactly what we want. It will get much better obviously as code is written for 64 bit.

BTW Helicon focus is 64 bit and it fly's. I hear Lightroom and Aperture are running very well indeed under it. Just waiting for C1 update for myself and I will be happy happy happy. It's hard going to a completely all laptop machine for someone that shoots high end digital with big files so speed is critical to keep up. End of the day this looks to be a winner in the end

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I will Bill . You have a Raid box it sounds like which one do you have.

I will send them a note today and see what is up

etrigan63

Wish I could say the same for Canon. I called imagePROGRAF support and their answer was: "Don't upgrade to Snow Leopard until we release the drivers and we don't know when that will happen."

They also informed me that current printers will be released first, then older models like my W6400 later.

I found a workaround that does the job quite admirably: Parallels 4 + Win7 + Qimage. Far less expensive than any RIP solutions that work natively on the Mac and if I spring for the Studio version of Qimage, I get multi-core support. This configuration is supported by Qimage, BTW.

E

eheffa

Re: Snow Leopard : ImagePrint 7

For the record.

ImagePrint 7 is supposed to be compatible with Snow Leopard but needs to be updated by downloading latest version from Colorbyte and uninstalling the old version & reinstalling the newest version. (New Epson Drivers should also be installed...)

I haven't done it yet but reportedly it works fine.

See: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Imageprint_New/message/120

I'll report back if I experience any issues...

-evan

E

eheffa

Re: Snow Leopard : ImagePrint 7

For the record.

ImagePrint 7 is supposed to be compatible with Snow Leopard but needs to be updated by downloading latest version from Colorbyte and uninstalling the old version & reinstalling the newest version. (New Epson Drivers should also be installed...)

I haven't done it yet but reportedly it works fine.

See: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Imageprint_New/message/120

I'll report back if I experience any issues...

-evan
Update:

For what it's worth...

I did the deed when I could afford my system to be down for a while.

Interestingly. Epson has links to Snow Leopard compatible drivers for my Epson 4800 on their website but these links take you to older drivers that are listed as only compatible up to OSX 10.5.x. (!#@%&)

After loading Snow leopard & discovering that my PCIe SATA Card Driver from Silicon Image was causing a Kernel Panic (Fixed with an updated driver), I then wasted a few hours trying to find a current Epson 4800 Driver. No luck but after installing Rosetta, I just reloaded the old Drivers which works fine so far. Reloading Imageprint had a few hiccups but was up and running fairly quickly too. So in the end, this upgrade was relatively painless compared to the many Windows upgrades I have done in the past. LR 2.6 still seems slow but the a little faster than before with better memory handling.

So if anyone is interested...Snow Leopard, Imageprint 7 and the Epsoin 4800 can "play nice" together.

-evan