The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Snow leopard and C1 Version 4.8.2 from Phase

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just saw this and thought I would post this right away. Seems like Henry was fine with instal but just in case

This comes from Phase One

KNOWLEDGEBASE ARTICLE

Article ID 2271
Summary Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard compatiblity with Capture One 4.8.2
Problem Is Capture One 4.8.2 comaptible with Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard?
Solution No it is not, next release beyond 4.8.2 will be, mean while we can provide the following workaround:

When starting Capture One for the first time on Snow Leopard (if software has not been activated or session file exist on the computer),
If you try to go into either Standard or Pro trial mode as the first action it will crash. It will continue crashing every time you try to start the application, after the License window is dismissed.

To get around this you must first go to DB mode so that the Session file can be initialized, and then back into Trial mode. So, to break it down into easy steps:

1. Install Snow Leopard.
2. Start CO. In the License dialog choose "Use Capture One DB", and click the "Use" button.
3. Capture One will crash. This is unavoidable. Restart it - you will start in DB mode, without seeing the License dialog.
4. Go to the Capture One->License... menu item. Choose "Try Capture One Pro" (or whichever trial mode is desired), and click "Try".
5. Capture One will relaunch, and start in Trial mode.
6. There will be an error message about being unable to verify the license code, every time you start in Trial mode. Ignore this.

Notes: Switching from Standard trial to Pro trial does not relaunch, and always starts in the original mode, always requiring another prelaunch.
You must switch to DB and then to the other trial mode to change.

You can activate the software with your product key, this works without any issues.
Other known issues are:

Non-image (or unsupported image) files appear in the browser. To see this in action, simply browse to the Preferences folder - all the plists are visible.

Process progress bar in the Process Summary tool has corrupted graphics.

Last updated August 28, 2009
This article applies to the following categories
Operating System:
Mac OS 10.6.x Snow Leopard
Software:
Capture One 4.x
Capture One 4.x DB
Capture One 4.x PRO

robsteve

Subscriber
Guy:

To start in DB mode, do you have to have a Phase back tethered?

In other words, for those of us using C1 that don't have Phase One backs, will this workaround work?

Robert

Guy Mancuso

To find your product key go to Phase one and log onto your account than go to License management and write down you License code . I just did it myself so when I load it up I will have it ready

http://www.phaseone.com/

Guy Mancuso

Guy:

In other words, for those of us using C1 that don't have Phase One backs, will this workaround work?

Robert
I think so Robert but let me tag Doug to be sure

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Capture Integration’s general guidance (whether you shoot Phase, Canon, Nikon, or anything else, is to avoid using Operating Systems immediately upon their release on any production computer. As with any update large-or-small to a production computer we recommend you proceed only when 1) it is clear that there are no major bugs 2) you have a backup of a known-good state and 3) you have several hours to thoroughly test the new system. While Snow Leopard seems on-the-surface to be a minor OS update there are ALWAYS issues with new OS. We will be doing our own hands-on testing of Snow Leopard in the coming weeks and will report on this blog our findings. However, we know that some of you will want to try out this operating system.

So here is an initial report on Capture One 4.8.2 and Snow Leopard. It is not compatible; it has bugs; however, it is usable with the use of a workaround.

For full details please see our blog entry: http://www.captureintegration.com/2009/08/...e-one-and-10-6/

We have an RSS Feed which covers this sort of news update. We also have a free giveaway-lotto of a Cambo Wide DS and Capture One license this month which you can enter only if you subscribe to the RSS (an RSS update is pushed out to you by the end of the month with details of how to enter).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Guy:

Robert
You do NOT need a Phase One back to use this workaround.

Does this problem exist ONLY for users in Trial (or demo) mode?
I do not have Snow Leopard yet (probably this weekend as a dual boot for testing). However, my reading of this article (along with generic background knowledge) indicate that the problem is with the activation which will be required when you first launch in Snow Leopard regardless of whether the software was installed/activated in Leopard.

IOW: it exists for any user launching Snow Leopard for the first time.

thomas

I've installed SL over OS 10.5 with all applications on a separate drive.
C1 starts without flaws - no trouble with DB-mode/Pro-mode or so.
As mentioned the browser shows all kind of files. Some graphics are displayed a bit strange but nothing serious (process bar is dotted and the color wheel in the color editor has a grey square as background). Everything else seems to work fine.

I have one (more or less serious) bug:
If you set the output to "embed camera profile" and set the proof profile to "selected recipe" C1 is unable to match colours or to render the preview in full resolution.
You have to set the proof profile to your monitor profile - in this particular case that's okay as input and output profile are the same; so you translate the camera profile directly to the monitor profile.

Single Core Applications (Photoshop...) take effect of Multicore/Multithreading with SL. By now Photoshop has been utilizing one (on Nehalem Macs two) thread(s). On SL "menu meters" shows that all 8 (16) cores are active. This does not apply to all plugins, of course. But to all actual Photoshop operations. So SL indeed speed up things. The computer is overall more responsive (as far as I can tell by now).

Guy Mancuso

Thomas thanks all the stuff I have noticed as well PS is faster and actually so is C1 and the one bug I did not catch yet is the embedded camera profile one. Have to try this out

thomas

Thomas thanks all the stuff I have noticed as well PS is faster and actually so is C1 and the one bug I did not catch yet is the embedded camera profile one. Have to try this out
you're welcome.
I think the camera profile bug shouldn't bother you as long as you process to AdobeRGB, ProPhotoRGB or whatever. I process to the camera profiles all the time so it was obvious for me right from the first start of C1.

thomas

C1 on SL doesn't show the color tags. You can tag the images and sort by color tags and if you right click on the thumbnails you'' even see the check mark of the color tag - you just don't see the color square on the thumbnails.