The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Apple tablet rumor: Larger form factor running Mac OS X

O

Oxide Blu

Netbooks lack the digitizer and touch screen that is key to the Tablet PC concept.
Don't know about the digitizer, but the touch screen is supposedly very much a part of Apple's new (unreleased) netbook; a virtual grown-up iPhone.

bavanor

If apple came out with a 10" to 12" tablet, with a screen that acts like an itouch, wireless, can run os X, have usb, fire wire and/or eSata, and comes with an SD and Compact Flash slot, I would be all over it. So would a lot of other people.

I love my iTouch, but wish it was bigger. The keyboard is not issue, just have a plug in for one (usb slot or wireless). Sometimes you might want the keyboard, other times you just use the screen as a keyboard like the iTouch.

Being able to shoot tethered to it would just rock, especially at the 10" to 12" size. Man this would be so cool.

I think about the iTouch screen and just imagine all of the applications for it. Coming from architecture, I see big screens the size of a drafting table with an iTouch screen. Where you interact with your fingers. Or can just use it as a drafting table too.

O

Oxide Blu

If apple came out with a 10" to 12" tablet, with ... fire wire ...

Maybe wrong but I think I remember something about Apple abandoning Firewire, e.g. Firewire is now a legacy technology, replaced by USB2.

T

Thawley

A major future market for Tablet computers is in the medical field. There are some teaching hospitals out there now testing out WiFi linked tablets for use by doctors and nurse to do data capture directly in the patient's room. For a doctor it allows him to show imaging right at the bedside. I can see bluetooth devices to record temperate, heart beat, blood pressure directly to a tablet and the patients medical records.
I think you may be on to something here...

Seems like Apple has had a medical app demo in most of the recent press events. They need one or more killer apps to give it a reason for living. (I doubt I'm alone in feeling that with an iPhone and MacBook Pro I've pretty well got things covered.) Add to that, retail checkout. Ever notice how the wandering cashiers at the Apple store are using Windows Mobile devices? That's got to be a burr under Steve's saddle.

Still have a hard time seeing why I would want yet another mobile device, but John's got me thinking it could be marketed more for medical/business/inventory uses. Retail consumer sales might just be icing on the cake. Or candy on the Apple. [Sorry]

O

Oxide Blu

John's got me thinking it could be marketed more for medical/business/inventory uses.

I was thinking that, too, when congress invoked that medical privacy legislation a couple of years ago, and the current admin started humping socialized medicine. Wasn't had to put the two together -- everything medical is going digital, like it or not. There is going to be a huge market for small, hand-held, wi-fi computing devices. Having a tablet ain't gonna hurt the application, either.

On the backside, me thinks whomever comes out on top with med record management software (that meets the fed requirements) will get to dictate the initial hardware platforms most used in medical offices.

T

Thawley

On the backside, me thinks whomever comes out on top with med record management software (that meets the fed requirements) will get to dictate the initial hardware platforms most used in medical offices.
Can you spell L-O-W B-I-D-D-E-R?

O

Oxide Blu

Quick update on this "rumor" ....

January 4th, 2010

Apple is planning to announce its long-rumored tablet in January, but will not be releasing it until March, according to The Wall Street Journal. Citing sources who claim to have been briefed on the device by Apple, the newspaper reported that it will be priced at $1,000, come with a 10 - to - 11 inch screen, and that the price might include a nationwide WiFi subscription.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/arti...ablet_in_march_for_1000_maybe_including_wifi/

I have to wonder about the Wall Street Journal when it is reporting a "10 to 11 inch screen". Does that mean a 10-1/2 inch screen, or that Apple hasn't finalized the product?

The idea of including a subscription is kind of cool, kind of not. I expect a laptop (includes tablets, notebooks, netbooks, etc) to be a 4-year product. Unless that $1k price tag includes a 4-year subscription, it is a tad bit over the top. Make that a lot over the top. And what good is a "nationwide" wifi subscription to someone not in "the nation"?!?

Lars

Yeah $1K for a complement to a laptop or a phone makes it a difficult purchase proposition. I'm sure the competition will be down to $200-$500 within months - there's a lot of these in the works, and OSX will likely be less of a selling point on such a device than on a laptop/desktop.

Undoubtedly 2010 will be the year of the tablet though.

LJL

Well, there are always lots of rumors about Apple products, and most of them are not correct, or accurate. Not saying that there will not be a tablet from Apple, but features, size, capabilities, and stuff like that are probably still under wraps. Apple has been pretty good on this front. Even the rumors about the MacBook Air, were not even close to the final product specs. And did anybody really get the iPhone specs right...most were not even close. Just a way of saying to take all of this with a grain or two of salt ;-) I do think they will come out with something surprising, but how it will fit into the use category, and the pricing.....well, will wait to see when it comes.

Although others may come out with any similar offerings shortly afterward, and at lower prices.....could easily happen, but few of those sorts of attempts on the PC front have ever really worked out. Look how long it has taken folks to try to copy or better the iPhone.....lot more than a few months, and most are still not getting there. If Apple does drop a tablet into the market soon, as many expect, it will probably have some surprises....enough to capture a fair number of folks' attention, and I do think the OS plays an important role in the overall success of a lot of Apple products.

LJ

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm always somewhat mystified by the amount of speculation and advance criticism new products seem to engender. Regardless of whether it's a camera, a gadget, or a car, there seems to be no end of advance critique frothing around in various internet fora. Sometimes it can get pretty heated, with strong opinions being displayed and then defended surrounding a "thing" that doesn't even exist yet.

As for the tablet, it reminds me of a scene from the movie "Avatar" that shows a lab geek in a white coat walking around the futuristic lab with a flat screen the size of a record album. It looked wicked cool. And whatever else you might think about Apple, you'd have to admit they have cool wayyy down.

Terry

Yeah $1K for a complement to a laptop or a phone makes it a difficult purchase proposition. I'm sure the competition will be down to $200-$500 within months - there's a lot of these in the works, and OSX will likely be less of a selling point on such a device than on a laptop/desktop.

Except for photography, I can't think of any application that I use on my laptop when traveling that isn't covered on my iPhone.

For me, if it is a device with not only built in Wifi but also 3G connectivity that functions like an iPhone, I would be very very happy.

If I could get media like magazines with great graphics (think zinio not kindle) it would be amazing for me.

monza

What's interesting to me is all the anticipation surrounding a product that has been out for years. Tablets are nothing new, although I can't recall ever seeing one in actual use (on an airplane, in a coffee shop, etc.) The fact there is so much anticipation about 'this' tablet is actually a reflection on the lack of vision and innovation at other companies.

The question for me is, what will it do that my MacBook Pro can't?

jonoslack

HI Lars - I think I've heard that every year since 2000, but like Monza, I've never seen one in use, anywhere, whether it be in offices or airports or cafes.

Still, I'll be tempted by an apple one if you can run Aperture 3 (x or whatever) together with normal OS apps and iphone apps.

all the best

kevinparis

no insider knowledge.... but wouldn't expect any speculated new Apple device to do heavy duty apps like Aperture or lightroom.....their best laptops barely cope :)

I am betting on a more communication/browsing/viewing type gadget...consumption not creation.... think books and magazines without squinting... Think of a manual or a tutorial that you can access while using the program full screen on your laptop or desktop....size wise think of a slim Penguin paperback....fits in a coat pocket or a purse

just a thought... i could be completely off

K

O

Oxide Blu

Well, there are always lots of rumors about Apple products, and most of them are not correct, or accurate. Not saying that there will not be a tablet from Apple, but features, size, capabilities, and stuff like that are probably still under wraps. Apple has been pretty good on this front. Even the rumors about the MacBook Air, were not even close to the final product specs. ...
Last year Apple bought a company (forget the name) for its technology. The CEO of that company had said that Apple would be releasing a 10-in tablet with cellphone/wifi bundled with a plan for $1k, first Q 2010. That exactly matches what the Wall Street Journal is now publishing. I just think it is weird the WSJ is the source of announcing the specs of a new Apple product.

LJL

Last year Apple bought a company (forget the name) for its technology. The CEO of that company had said that Apple would be releasing a 10-in tablet with cellphone/wifi bundled with a plan for $1k, first Q 2010. That exactly matches what the Wall Street Journal is now publishing. I just think it is weird the WSJ is the source of announcing the specs of a new Apple product.
That all may be very plausible and real, but as I said, I will wait to see just what may come out at this point. Apple has bought a number of companies over time, and not everything always becomes a hot new product. It also seems a bit of stretch that some former CEO of a purchased company is going to break Apple's code of silence on things like this, especially if he is now working for Apple, and if not, he may never know what the final specs are until the come out, much like the rest of us. I do think that Apple could rock the market with something, and we shall soon know.....maybe.

What I find odd about the "details" of the story (WSJ and the former CEO), is how specific they are. Heck when the iPhone was going to be rolled out, which admittedly was a really, really rumored and anticipated device, AT&T nor Apple spilled info until maybe a few days before rollout. Nobody really knew what the plans and services would be until unveiled. Folks also did not really know the prices or that there were multiple devices and plan options. So, while the rumor could be a possible option, Apple has been good about testing the waters with these sorts of "leaks" to throw off rumors and speculations. Again, not saying it could not be real or will not happen, but until it is announced, shown, and details are put out, it is all wild and somewhat wishful rumors.

Like others have mentioned, there are some interesting hurdles to overcome with respect to power, size, utility, connectivity, etc., that could present a lot of options. A 10" tablet with touchscreen, WiFi, 3G, etc., may be one option....or not. Sounds pretty good and maybe tempting for some, but I will still wait to see if there is something and just what it may be able to do before getting too worked up and excited over this yet. Tablets may be the "next thing", but like others, that sure are not a lot of them in more widespread use from anybody else right now, even though they have been around for some time. Only thing sort of commonly close right now is the brown brick the UPS guys carry, and that is a decade old tech at least. Sleek, svelt, sexy it ain't, so the bar is not too high right now for something somewhat different and attractive for the masses. Just my opinion.

LJ

Terry

In a word scale

I think we are at a point where Apple is getting too big to maintain the cone of silence. When you start buying up massive quantities of memory, ordering glass for millions of screens, have to get approvals from the FCC etc. it is harder to keeps these things secret like they used to.

Lars

I still think that a 10" tablet is a form factor that falls between the cracks, as we discussed earlier in this thread. As Jono points out, you never see anyone in the general population using tablets. Between a phone and a small laptop, it's a third device to carry around that doesn't replace neither phone nor laptop. Given today's usage patterns, of course.

If we look at Apple, it's a company that primarily markets high-margin products in the premium segment, the other leg is music sales. I'd expect Apple to either enter/create a high-margin tablet segment, or market devices for recurring media/software sales: movies and games.

Personally I don't think a keyboardless mini-macbook will be received well (the market won't be willing to pay Apple's asking price). A jumbo-iphone is a more likely possibility, but then it needs apps that make sense in that form factor. And without subsidies from phone companies the asking price will be high enough to scare off most iphone buyers (remember that the actual price of an iphone is in the $700-900 range). Another strategy could be to establish a distribution platform for itunes movies, which could motivate Apple to keep the price down. But movies is a harder sell than music, I don't think that will work as well.

Re gaming consoles, it's a well-established market with a too low price point for Apple to go after with a generic OSX device.

Then there's the competition, hardware as well as software. All major phone makers are eyeballing this market segment, and on the OS side there's Android, Chrome OS on one end and Windows 7 on the other end. On the Linux side Nokia's Maemo initiative also looks interesting.

Microsoft should have an edge here, with several generations of Windows supporting touch, as well as the Surface project. Whether that will actually mean a significant user base when/if the tablet market takes off remains to be seen, MS has had its problems in the past turning technical advantage into market share.

Sure, Apple will always sell devices to fanboys, but it will be difficult for Apple to justify premium pricing which makes the market segment less attractive for Apple.

Jono - when I say 2010 will be the year of the tablet, I mean that we'll finally see devices that are good as well as affordable. That doesn't mean people will buy, so we might still not see anyone using them.

Terry

Lars,
What do all those people using netbooks do with them? Email, web, movies (when traveling). Give it a faster interface, better screen, better interface, great access to content through apps and I think you make a lot of people happy.