The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hanging unframed prints for exhibit

Ben Rubinstein

Hi,

I have a snap exhibition that I can show some work at in a week. I can have prints made and fast, I can even have them dry mounted in that time but I won't have time for framing. Any ideas for hanging mounted photos and displaying them 'naked'?

Many thanks!

NotXorc

One standard presentation method that looks nice is mounting the images to a high quality white matboard using dual-sided Duotack adhesive. It takes some care to avoid bubbles, but some people prefer it to dry mounting. With the picture placed on the matboard you can probably use something like 3M Command™ strips to adhere the matboard to the wall surface (best to check with the gallery staff or the wall's owner to determine what's acceptable).

Depending on the venue and content you are presenting, you may adopt a more creative presentation style for your prints. For example, a series of prints about exploring a cave could be presented by mounting them in pairs, back-to-back and suspending them by wires from the ceiling at different heights and angles. This prevents the viewer from seeing the entire series at a glance and would force them to explore the cave for themselves. Do give some thought to the visual flow of your presentation and respect the formalities (or spontaneity) of your subject matter. Have fun and enjoy sharing your work!

scho

Print on canvas or smooth, matte satin cloth and gallery wrap. Quick, easy, and they look good. The satin cloth wraps are so light weight that they could be hung with removable velcro tabs.

etrump

I routinely have prints mounted to foam board and gloss laminated for a quick low cost print exhibition. A small box is then glued to the back that allows it to be hung like a standard picture fame at a cost of about $50 for a 30x40 print. I print them with a border, title and print information which makes an appealing, clean and contemporary display at a reasonable cost. I have also been using this type of mount to display prints in locations around town building awareness for my gallery opening.