Site Sponsors

Thread: Photo Hosting/Website Experience

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Photo Hosting/Website Experience

So I've been looking more into getting a photography based website to host and maybe sell some of my images online. Does anyone have any experience with Zenfolio, PhotoShelter, Squarespace, SmugMug, or Format? How has the experience been? My other requirement would be something that requires little web maintenance and quick site building time. I don't want to jack around in HTML or CSS extensively (if at all.)
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Photo Hosting/Website Experience

I am very happy with Photodeck.com. I only pay $15/month for my website. You can get 50% off your first month with this code: [email protected]

Douglas Dolde - Images of the American West
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Doug thats one I've never heard of. I am also in the process of rebuilding my website, long over due and long the brunt of my attention. Had used iWeb for years but suffice it to say its a bit long in the tooth these days and does not accommodate other attributes such as the OP's desire to sell online. Rapid Weaver 7 is also a consideration.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Doug, looked at your website and also spent quite a bit of time reviewing the Photodeck website. Seems like they do a nice job and perhaps the tip of the hat would go to Photodeck vs Photoshelter. However when perusing your website it was not clear to me how one would purchase prints from a particular image. Your menu does have Print link but there seems to be no link on a particular image where one could choose print or digital download. May I ask how you're managing this? Or did I miss something?

Thanks

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

i am with live books but need to move to a non-flash platform so have been looking at options. the free adobe website creator you get with the creative cloud plan looks great but it痴 an exercise in frustration. so confusing with galleries, projects, project galleries and no easy to follow way of creating just 2 simple galleries of still life and location images.
    hours of playing with it have created absolutely nothing of value even after looking at the help centre.
    has anyone managed to use this effectively? i知 no web editor/wordpress guru but i知 not stupid either!

the old live books site was easy to use so i知 going to have a play with the html based site editor and see how that goes, its more money but i cant sit there for days trying to understand a poor user interface. these sites are supposed to be easy to use.
    never trust the opinion of anyone who lists a load of gear in their forum signature. Dealers do not email me asking to buy your products.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    i am with live books but need to move to a non-flash platform so have been looking at options. the free adobe website creator you get with the creative cloud plan looks great but it痴 an exercise in frustration. so confusing with galleries, projects, project galleries and no easy to follow way of creating just 2 simple galleries of still life and location images.
    hours of playing with it have created absolutely nothing of value even after looking at the help centre.
    has anyone managed to use this effectively? i知 no web editor/wordpress guru but i知 not stupid either!

the old live books site was easy to use so i知 going to have a play with the html based site editor and see how that goes, its more money but i cant sit there for days trying to understand a poor user interface. these sites are supposed to be easy to use.
    I actually went with Format. It lacks the eCommerce options for now but it's simple to use and update. I have a Behance site but it was a bit much to fall in love with from a usability standpoint.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    So I've been looking more into getting a photography based website to host and maybe sell some of my images online. Does anyone have any experience with Zenfolio, PhotoShelter, Squarespace, SmugMug, or Format? How has the experience been? My other requirement would be something that requires little web maintenance and quick site building time. I don't want to jack around in HTML or CSS extensively (if at all.)
    I use Zenfolio. I like it quite a bit. It was very easy to build, no scripting or programming knowledge required. Most of my time was taken with polishing the site. They have the sales/e-commerce option, but I don't use that. I just built a very simple site to host my photos. You can see it here: http://alexanderolshansky.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    Doug, looked at your website and also spent quite a bit of time reviewing the Photodeck website. Seems like they do a nice job and perhaps the tip of the hat would go to Photodeck vs Photoshelter. However when perusing your website it was not clear to me how one would purchase prints from a particular image. Your menu does have Print link but there seems to be no link on a particular image where one could choose print or digital download. May I ask how you're managing this? Or did I miss something?

Thanks

Rob
    That is true you can't select the print option from an individual image. I just ask buyers to put the image number and title in the "note to seller" box upon PayPal checkout.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    Doug thats one I've never heard of. I am also in the process of rebuilding my website, long over due and long the brunt of my attention. Had used iWeb for years but suffice it to say its a bit long in the tooth these days and does not accommodate other attributes such as the OP's desire to sell online. Rapid Weaver 7 is also a consideration.

Thanks
    Since awhile now, EverWeb is 'the new' iWeb. I bought it last year and rebuilding an existing website made with iWeb is pretty straight forward although I decided to re-built from scratch (my site is not rocket-science anyway). The good thing is that if you are experienced with iWeb you continue with EverWeb right away since it is continuing where iWeb stopped development. Same interface, functions etc. I don't regret the purchase.

Oh, it has the shopping cart function and a few more advanced functionalities compared to iWeb ;-)