The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aaargh - C1 colours in ACR/LR

thomas

I'll look into that, thanks. I'm trying out DxO, Raw Therapee, C1, Sony IDC, and Lightroom currently, and while they all certainly render skin tones differently, C1 is WAY off.
You might try this: http://tinyurl.com/q96ygl
Put it in user/library/colorsync/profiles so it will show up as an A900 camera profile in the pulldown menu of C1.
I don't know if that works… I have no file of the A900 and just downloaded some color checker captures of the A900 on imaging-resource.
If you'd like to upload a portrait (raw file) I could make a profile as a starting point for you.
But at least by switching to this profile you should see a color change that is roughly in the right direction… I hope.

J

Jamesmd

I'll look into that, thanks. I'm trying out DxO, Raw Therapee, C1, Sony IDC, and Lightroom currently, and while they all certainly render skin tones differently, C1 is WAY off.
Just a stupid question , shouldn't sony idc be the best for the sony ?

I had a try at it , never had , and its not a fast comfortable program , but conversion looks very good to me . and colors are very very close to real .

What do you think ?

cheers

james

douglasf13

IMO, IDC is good for color, but not so great for demoisacing. I've been spending some time with DxO the last couple of weeks, and I may end up switching to that.

douglasf13

Put it in user/library/colorsync/profiles so it will show up as an A900 camera profile in the pulldown menu of C1.
I don't know if that works… I have no file of the A900 and just downloaded some color checker captures of the A900 on imaging-resource.
If you'd like to upload a portrait (raw file) I could make a profile as a starting point for you.
But at least by switching to this profile you should see a color change that is roughly in the right direction… I hope.
I just wanted to say thanks again. Your quick profiles are much better than the standard A900 profile in C1, and it gives me a good starting point. :thumbup:

thomas

I just wanted to say thanks again. Your quick profiles are much better than the standard A900 profile in C1, and it gives me a good starting point. :thumbup:
that's fine, you're welcome.
Basically you just twist the magentas and reds a bit towards yellow/green. Finetuning with adjustment of saturation and lightness of the respective colors. The strength of C1's color editor is that the color adjustments work on the level of the input profile - this is why you will be able to adjust super fine transitions without color clipping or other unwanted side effects. This is completely different to other RAW converters (not so much regarding the handling of the tool, but regarding the resulting quality). Too, you can choose either to save your settings as a new camera profile or just as a setting in the color editor (technically it's the same).

J

Jamesmd

Thomas , thanks , I tried it too , and its good for me as well.

cheers

James

thomas

I'm glad it works fine. It was pure estimation based on the Gretag-Target of the A900 preproduction-model RAW-files from imaging-resource.com.
So I think some finetuning is still worthwhile... look at lips or other reds... sometimes they might look washed out. But that's easy to fix with the color editor in C1...
Too, it's worth a try to look at the four skintone profiles of the H25 ... though a totally different camera these profiles are awesome sometimes.

J

Jamesmd

thomas , it's great you say that , H25 outdoor daylight is the one I use almost always with the a900 ( for daylight )). I like it a lot .

Cheers

James

douglasf13

It's hilarious how much closer Thomas' quick profile for the A900 is when compared to Phase One's own profile. Did Phase even shoot any targets with the camera?

J

Jamesmd

yes Douglas ,I was thinking the same this morning , ist like they said lets make it recognize camera , open file and thats it . :confused:

james

thomas

It's hilarious how much closer Thomas' quick profile for the A900 is when compared to Phase One's own profile. Did Phase even shoot any targets with the camera?
yes, they do. Problem here is that generic profiles are always quite "big". They are averaged to cover different lighting conditions. Downside is that these profiles are never really accurate. Upside is that they are quite usuable as a starting point for a lot of lighting conditions.

douglasf13

I get what you're saying, Thomas, but the generic A900 C1 profile is MUCH more magenta than the generic profiles from LR, RT, DXO, and IDC (the main converters Ive tested.) Either way, it's an easy fix.

A

apras

wow really the profiles make big difference. i like how the H25 outdoor colours. but how do i apply the profiles to the other files? the copy and apply doesnt copy the ICC profiles.

francishmt

For some reason, I cannot find the path "user/library/colorsync/profiles" in my Vista machine, hence cannot get it to show up in the pulldown menu C1. I am using C1 v4 and not the pro version, does it make a difference? Any help will be appreciated.....

thomas

For some reason, I cannot find the path "user/library/colorsync/profiles" in my Vista machine, hence cannot get it to show up in the pulldown menu C1. I am using C1 v4 and not the pro version, does it make a difference? Any help will be appreciated.....
should work.
I honestly can't remember the path on Vista.
It's somehwere in C/applications/Phase One/Capture One... profiles?
Just search for SonyA900-generic.icm on your system... you have to put it in the same folder.

francishmt

should work.
I honestly can't remember the path on Vista.
It's somehwere in C/applications/Phase One/Capture One... profiles?
Just search for SonyA900-generic.icm on your system... you have to put it in the same folder.
Gotcha! Thanks.