The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HEADS UP! Lightroom 2.5 problem with Pana G1 raw files on G5 Macs

R

Ranger 9

Okay, I admit this is a very specific issue, but I know there are several Panasonic G1s running around here, and several people using G5 Macs, so I thought I'd better post it: If this describes you, you may want to WAIT on updating Lightroom to version 2.5.

I just got home from shooting some photos with the Pana G1 and imported the raw files into LR 2.5 for a look. I discovered highlight areas were severely blown out and surrounded by magenta "maze" or "checker" lines.

I then found this thread on the Adobe forums, showing that I'm not the only one having the problem.

As I added to the Adobe thread, I've done some isolations on this and found:

-- Pana G1 files in LR2.5 on PPC G5 DO exhibit the issue.
-- Pana G1 files in LR2.5 on Intel Mac DO NOT exhibit the issue
-- Pana G1 files in LR2.4 on PPC G5 DO NOT exhibit the issue
-- As a control, Pana G1 files in Iridient Raw Developer DO NOT exhibit the issue

Here are the example images I added to the Adobe thread:

LR2.5 on PPC G5 --

LR2.5 on Intel Mac --

LR2.4 on PPC G5 --

Raw Developer on PPC G5 --

Guess I'll be reverting to LR 2.4 on my G5 Mac until Adobe gets this sorted out.

Terry

And if you wanted a special effect like that it would take you hours to create it. Good luck.

R

Ranger 9

No kidding! The color effects along the blown-out edge are very intricate -- some of them look like little Mandelbrot sets.

The good news is that you can reinstall Lightroom 2.4, open the same catalog, select the "problem" image, and step back through its edit history until the "special effect" goes away... then forward again to reinstate your edits. So, no work actually gets lost... sigh of relief!

The bad news is that any Lightroom user who owns both a G1 (which has the issue with LR2.5) and an E-P1 (which isn't compatible with LR2.4) is in a bit of a cleft stick... IF s/he is still using a G5 Mac to run Lightroom.

But... The number of people who still use a G5 and own both a G1 and an E-P1 is probably miniscule, so hardly anyone will have an insoluble problem. Those who use a G5 but don't own an E-P 1 can just drop back to LR2.4 until Adobe sorts this out. Those who own both cameras and use an Intel Mac or Windows to run Lightroom won't have the issue in the first place.

iiiNelson

Well I'm glad I only updated the Macbook Pro to LR 2.5 and not the G5. I use both still. Mostly because my G5 is faster than the Macbook Pro it seems to me. I only have the G1 and have no intentions of gettin an EP-1. I hope they fix this issue in LR 2.6 or whatever they call it when they add the M9 profiles because I AM planning on getting one of those at this point.

Godfrey

Well I'm glad I only updated the Macbook Pro to LR 2.5 and not the G5. I use both still. Mostly because my G5 is faster than the Macbook Pro it seems to me. I only have the G1 and have no intentions of gettin an EP-1. I hope they fix this issue in LR 2.6 or whatever they call it when they add the M9 profiles because I AM planning on getting one of those at this point.
It's not a disaster even if you did ... very easy to downgrade. ON Mac OS X, just delete the LR2.5 application and reinstalled LR2.4, or delete Camera Raw 5.5 and reinstall Camera Raw 5.4.

iiiNelson

It's not a disaster even if you did ... very easy to downgrade. ON Mac OS X, just delete the LR2.5 application and reinstalled LR2.4, or delete Camera Raw 5.5 and reinstall Camera Raw 5.4.
I agree but that's one less thing I HAVE to do.