The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Showing grid overlay with Aperture

Marc Wilson

Hi guys,
I'm trying out aperture at the moment and there is a lot about it that I like for the way i do my raw processing, tethered shooting, etc.
One thing I just can't find though.
Is it possible to show a grid lines overlay on an image to check straight lines?
I know if you use the straighten tool and click on the image and move it a grid come sup but that's not good for me as the image is no longer straight!

Thanks,

Marc

kevinparis

selecting the crop tool and holding down the Apple or Command key gives you a rule of thirds grid if that helps

Kevin

jonoslack

Hi guys,
I'm trying out aperture at the moment and there is a lot about it that I like for the way i do my raw processing, tethered shooting, etc.
One thing I just can't find though.
Is it possible to show a grid lines overlay on an image to check straight lines?
I know if you use the straighten tool and click on the image and move it a grid come sup but that's not good for me as the image is no longer straight!

Thanks,

Marc
Click on F to make the image full screen, then click on the straighten tool from the top menu bar (to the left of the crop tool) and when you click on the image it'll show a detailed grid and the straight (or crooked) lines.

Kevin's answer is just as good . . . just different!
. . .

Marc Wilson

thanks guys.
tried them both and the crop tool one only works if you have actually drawn a crop area...and the straighten one only when you click on the image...which often moves so no good either.

I'm basically trying to get a simple overlay grid for when shooting tethered interiors.

whilst I'm here...although the apple site states the 5d can not be tethered without OS 10.5 it does work fine with 10.4.
Does anyone have any experience with other newer cameras tethered..ie. 5dmkII, 1dsmkIII?

I'm trying to find the best software option for my needs...and wish I could take a bit from C1, a bit from aperture and a bit from LR into one piece of software!

Thanks.