The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Metamorphosis

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
The idea here is pretty simple. Show a .jpg of the RAW capture file of an image followed by a .jpg of your finished file after post processing.

My motives are selfish. I work in relative isolation and don't often get a chance to see how others make their images come to life. I see lots of images posted here and other places, but it's rare to see the original RAW file and what vision the artist was able to implement.

It's not my intention to elicit step-by-step instructions, but critique and comments are always welcome.

Thanks!
Tim

My contribution would never be confused with a great photograph. However, it presented some unique challenges. Specifically, the hazy background behind the bridge.

RAW converted with LightRoom defaults, and then the image after processing in PS3:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
From Ghent Before and after.
1) Stitch a few together
2) Manufacture some new sky
3) Remove distracting elements
4) Add a couple people and a motorbike
5) Add some shop windows and a sidewalk grate
-bob

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Nothing fancy like Bob's. Just a little of Mother Nature's best....the Red Canyon (near Bryce Canyon) in Utah. I expected Gnomes to emerge from this beautiful spot!
M8 28 cron

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I really wanted to make this "pop" a little more, but when I posted it, I seemed to get a color shift in the reds. I used Jack's web converter and everything looked fine on my calibrated monitor. I'm not sure what happened, but I re-did it without so much "pop" and it posted more true. Anyone have any ideas why the shift after posting??:angry:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have any ideas why the shift after posting??:angry:
I had this problem initially running Safari under Leopard, 10.5.1. With 10.5.2, they fixed a color management issue and issued a Safari update. IN fact, another Safari update was posted last week. My advice is to make sure you have all the updates --- and you sometimes have to run the software update bot twice to snag everything...

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks, Jack. I'm embarrassed to say that I am on a windows pc.:toocool: I know you have had a little experience with them...any ideas?

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
DMR + 80mm at f/5.6. Processed in Capture One 4 (Crop, Exposure, Contrast, Brightness, Levels, Curve) and CS3 (Sharpening, more curves, desaturation, more sharpening . . . convert to jpeg).

View attachment 2302

It's getting there. I think I need to rest my eyes and have one more go at it.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I really wanted to make this "pop" a little more, but when I posted it, I seemed to get a color shift in the reds. I used Jack's web converter and everything looked fine on my calibrated monitor. I'm not sure what happened, but I re-did it without so much "pop" and it posted more true. Anyone have any ideas why the shift after posting??:angry:
Cindy, post the one with more "pop" next to the one you re-did. Maybe this will give someone a clue as to what happened.

etrigan63

OK here's one of my favorites - The Great Stone Horse of Chang
Before:

After (Bibble Pro + Andy Pro + Matty)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
TR,
Good reduction in distractions and nice rendering on that engine!
I also like the way you have brought up the reflections in the dark paint.
-bob

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Bob! I have really come to enjoy playing in PS3. It's very easy for hours to slip by while I fool around with all the possibilities.