The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom 3 Beta

kevinparis

one set of controls seems like you have it set up wrong....

....only king of the workflow if it actually supports the cameras you use which for me has been an abysmal failure over its lifetime.
Maybe i exaggerated a bit saying only one set of controls was visible... what I was trying to say was that from a standard install on a 15" powerbook that the interface to me used up far too much of my screen real estate - especially compared to Aperture.

I agree the camera support issue is a biggy.... maybe its a subtle ploy by Apple to divert your gearlust dollars away from buying cameras to buying shiny new computers :)

cheers

K

Dale Allyn

Mwalker, what do you mean with double profiling?

Jan R.
Jan, normally "double profiling" refers to applying a print profile in your processing software as well as allowing your printer driver apply attributes – something you don't want. In other words, I normally print from Photoshop and direct Photoshop to control colors via the chosen profile. I must be sure that the printer is not also applying colorsync attributes or any other driver based controls (one normally choses "none" from the color options in the printer driver dialogue). You want only one profile to be at work on your print.

HTH,

Dale

Diane B

It does if you have worked on the files in Lr2 and saved the changes to .xmp.
Robert, I'm not understanding--perhaps you could explain further. I'm not working on the same files that I processed in LR2.5. These are 'new' files (or copied files to a new folder and imported from where they are on my drive). So--none have ever been touched by LR 2.5. Is that what I'm understanding--they would first have to have been imported to 2.5 with .xmp changes--and then imported to 3.0??

Greg Seitz

Maybe i exaggerated a bit saying only one set of controls was visible... what I was trying to say was that from a standard install on a 15" powerbook that the interface to me used up far too much of my screen real estate - especially compared to Aperture.

Hit Shift+TAB and you'll have all your screen real estate available. Just mouse over to the edges to temporarily bring back that panel and hit the little triangle thingy to have it stay open.

Also a couple of shortcut keys are really handy. Hit D to get to the develop module for the selected photo, and hit G to go back to the grid view. D, G, and the Shift+TAB are the keys to happiness in Lightroom. :D

Greg Seitz

Robert, I'm not understanding--perhaps you could explain further. I'm not working on the same files that I processed in LR2.5. These are 'new' files (or copied files to a new folder and imported from where they are on my drive). So--none have ever been touched by LR 2.5. Is that what I'm understanding--they would first have to have been imported to 2.5 with .xmp changes--and then imported to 3.0??
If you are seeing the luminance slider active you are in compatibility mode and not using the new processing engine. If you have a file that's been edited in a previous version with its corresponding XMP file the default in LR 3 is to treat it with the original processing engine. You can switch to the new engine by clicking the little warning triangle icon that shows up in the Histogram panel in develop mode. Once you do that your luminance slider will deactivate.

jonoslack

If you are seeing the luminance slider active you are in compatibility mode and not using the new processing engine. If you have a file that's been edited in a previous version with its corresponding XMP file the default in LR 3 is to treat it with the original processing engine. You can switch to the new engine by clicking the little warning triangle icon that shows up in the Histogram panel in develop mode. Once you do that your luminance slider will deactivate.
HI Greg
you mean the luminance slider in noise reduction, not under HSL don't you (I think it needs clarifying!).

Robert Campbell

Ah, you are quite right -- the warning triangle is so small I hadn't seen it -- RTFM I suppose. I didn't realise there was a compatibility mode.

Sorry for the confusion, thanks for the clarification.

Robert Campbell

Yes, but I was mistaken: if they were imported into LR2.5 with changes saved to xmp, and then imported into LR3, LR3 will go into compatibility mode -- see Greg's posts.

Diane B

Thanks. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, opened a new catalog (import with files where they are)--still no print module--just the message
7:0 attempt to index field 'value' (a nil value).
Disappoointing to me because the print module is important to me and I'd like to evaluate the new options. Ce la vie----all my previous betas have had 'issues'--the point for having a public beta LOL--so it will be addressed. I don't have anything 'exotic'--just an XP Pro machine built for photo editing--and it handles LR 2.5 easily, so I'll just 'play' with the library and develop modules until this can be resolved. I've reposted in Adobe beta forum stating that I've reinstalled, tried a different catalog--and hope someone else has something I can try on my end.

woodyspedden

Diane

Are you on a Mac or P.C.? Could be a possible cause. I am on a Mac and all the modules show and seem to work the way I would expect.

Woody

Diane B

Woody, I'm on a PC and on the beta forum no one else seems to have this problem. My LR 2.5 works perfectly. I keep thinking it may be something on my end. All my other modules work just fine--strange---well, nothing is strange in a beta LOL.

robertwright

some people over on the "other" forum were saying the new M9 profile in LR3 is great: I don't have an M9- but was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the included profile for the M8- is it better, same, worse?

I've downloaded the beta but can't run it because I am on Powerpc still. But you can get to the profiles in the package. Was wondering if I could bodge the new profile into Lr2, assuming it is better.

Went and looked at a new iMac today, guess that is the jobless recovery upgrade option for my aging G5 tower. A new tower is priced way out of the question....

mwalker

Subscriber Member
How do you call up the profile? When I imported some A900 files under camera calibration I had two choices, "standard" and "ACR 4.6". Where do you pick the profiles?

robertwright

How do you call up the profile? When I imported some A900 files under camera calibration I had two choices, "standard" and "ACR 4.6". Where do you pick the profiles?
-thats where. they are under the calibration tab you found. different cameras will have different possibilities. sometime you have adobe standard, and camera standard, which mimics the default jpeg look the manufacturer has. canons have Lr profiles mimicking the different looks, standard, neutral, portrait, faithful, etc.

re the A900, there may only be a couple choices anyway.