The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture X. ?????

kevinparis

certainly not any announced version of Aperture... but then again Apple almost never even talk about forthcoming products - even internally

A new version is probably overdue.. we will have to wait and see

K

jonoslack

certainly not any announced version of Aperture... but then again Apple almost never even talk about forthcoming products - even internally

A new version is probably overdue.. we will have to wait and see

K
Yes, Adobe give us 6 months advance warning . . . Apple spring it on us complete.

I don't mind either way, but I really do think that Apple's policy of silence does them no favours here. The lack of new camera support is becoming a bad joke, it would be ameliorated to some extent if they said 'okay we will be supporting the G1 / M9 / Gf1 / d-lux4 at some point in the near future'.

They need to be quick, I'd much rather stay with Aperture, but I'm using LR3 beta at the moment because it supports the cameras I'm using, If there is no new version of Aperture (or no word of one) over the next month or so, then I will have made the switch by default. And if I do it there will be thousands of others too.

cjlacz

Looks like Amazon's page has already disappeared. I've been using the Lightroom demo since I can't find my Aperture key at the moment. I prefer Aperture too. Just waiting to see what bother bring to next big version. Little disappointed with Adobe, although I'd probably use a lot of the features they have.

J

Jamesmd

Hi jono , I would say in the case of A900 , the ACR 4.6 is closer to aperture than adobe standard.

Im changing to LR too , if in a week , there is no news of Aperture upgrade . I can't print as before with snow leopard .

cheers

James

nostatic

I have to admit that I have been using LR for the last week or two, and other than having a little more sharpening and nr sliders to play with I *hate* it compared to Aperture. It seems slower, the UI is a mess, and I find it gets in my way.

*sigh* I think I'll just keep shooting jpg with the DLux4 (luckily they look quite good) and wait it out. Bastards...

jonoslack

I have to admit that I have been using LR for the last week or two, and other than having a little more sharpening and nr sliders to play with I *hate* it compared to Aperture. It seems slower, the UI is a mess, and I find it gets in my way.

*sigh* I think I'll just keep shooting jpg with the DLux4 (luckily they look quite good) and wait it out. Bastards...
Hi Todd
I quite agree - on the other hand, one has completely forgotten the time it took to get to grips with Aperture in the first place.

My trouble is that it isn't just the Dlux4, it's also . . .
M9
GF1
EP1
Dlux4

it's too much!

Diane B

If you are using the beta version---having gone through a number of them, don't consider that as being like the finished. I can't even open the print module LOL. If your camera is supported, why not try the 2.5 demo?? My G1 and GF1 are supported (I think the E-P1 also) and on an XP Pro machine (admittedly built for photo editing), its not really slow. The only time I feel that is returning from Develop to Library--but as I can open the folders previously from Develop, its really a moot point. I have no idea though how it acts on a Mac.

Diane

Godfrey

Funny, but I have quite the opposite reaction when I use Aperture. I use Aperture exclusively for its book-making capabilities: Lightroom is much smoother and more sensible in use.

Nice that there are choices, and neither is actually "bad".

jonoslack

If you are using the beta version---having gone through a number of them, don't consider that as being like the finished. I can't even open the print module LOL. If your camera is supported, why not try the 2.5 demo?? My G1 and GF1 are supported (I think the E-P1 also) and on an XP Pro machine (admittedly built for photo editing), its not really slow. The only time I feel that is returning from Develop to Library--but as I can open the folders previously from Develop, its really a moot point. I have no idea though how it acts on a Mac.

Diane
HI Diane
I did a similar comparison about 12 months ago when I had the Sony A900 which wasn't supported by Aperture. I looked again around July when I was testing the M9

Truth is that for both the Sony A900 and the M8 and M9, Aperture does much better conversions than LR 2.5 (at least, I think that it does). I don't need the demo as I own a license! Added to which the printing for larger print sizes is a whole different world better in Aperture. Of course, this is only my opinion, but I'm not alone.

However, the LR 3 conversions look pretty good, certainly, it seems to do a better job with the M9 than either Aperture or C1, and for me, that's what really matters. The printing also looks much improved. It may be a bit slow, but I can live with that.

Godfrey - as far as the interface goes - I'm with Todd here - I think that Aperture is a delight, of course, it's a matter of opinion, and certainly it's vital to know the shortcuts in each version.

nostatic

Well, I am running both Aperture and LR as I try to sort out my archives and organize everything. I'm creating small libraries to test...and apologies to the LR fans but I find that Aperture is way more elegant and provides very usable different approaches to viewing/editing. I may be missing some customization tricks of where things reside on screen but being able to go full screen in Aperture with auto disappearing tools is quite nice.

Eoin

Im changing to LR too , if in a week , there is no news of Aperture upgrade . I can't print as before with snow leopard .

cheers

James
This I don't understand, Aperture for me is the only application from which I seem to have access to all the printers settings such as papers, dpi and so on. I've lost this functionality in CS4 and in LR 2.5 since the upgrade to Snow Leopard. Even in LR3 I've no access to paper types. Printing on a Epson 3800.

Aperture 3 should be here soon, but I wouldn't think there would be news within the week.

J

Jamesmd

What I expect in a week , soon is an update for snow or from Epsom or from Aperture for things to be as they were .
It's strnage any way . If you open text edit and you have drivers updated correctly , you have all and much mor options for printer , so , it must be something with aperture that's wrong .

It's like aperture uses Epson driver in diferent way than all other progams .
From text edit you can even print borderlees .

Eoin

James, from what I read apple have seeded 10.6.2 to developers
http://news.worldofapple.com/archives/2009/10/16/apple-seeds-new-mac-os-x-1062-build-seed-notes/

I've also read Epson will have new SL drivers for the 3800 sometime in November. In the mean time your Epson driver should be 6.11 from what I read. You need to also run the common updater as well as the new (old version) driver.

Like I say Aperture seems to be the only application that I have found full control over my Epson printer, but I'm having problems with images not being centered on the page. Even borderless images have a small border and if I try to calibrate the paper with the function in the aperture print console all the numbers and lines are missing on one side. ~Yet they all print out perfectly on a PCC G5 running standard Leopard 10.5.x

Yes a PIA but not as big a PIA as dropping Aperture altogether, moving all my images to another app and starting all over again to learn another workflow.

J

Jamesmd

Hi Eoin

You need to also run the common updater as well as the new (old version) driver.
I don't understand this you said . could you explain please

As always I imagine I'll stick to aperture , because I do like it and its so comfortable . and it WAS great for printing

J

Jamesmd

so I have to install both drivers

thanks Eoin , I did read it on Epson web , but I did't get it , :deadhorse:

so sorry

I'm dying to get home and try

J

Jamesmd

You only get that info on USA epson web , in the europe ones it doesn't say , just says to install new driver and thats it .:(

thanks Eoin again , I'll let you know if it worked

nostatic

Here's my current realty. Just picked up a fully loaded $3700 macbookpro. Take delivery of it, IT installes Office, and I get mh hands on it. Anyone who has changed machines knows the pita that befalls them. I've juggling half dozen external drives with various **** strewn everywhere.

anywho, I get my files loaded and start loadng mission-critical software like FinalCutPro, Logic Pro Studio, APerturne and other apps like Transmit. Then all the helpers for QT to be able to do what it isued to easily do - FLip4Mac, VLC, MPG Streamclip. It goes on. Face it, they cribpled the media handling in this iteration. it is just BAD. It needs to bo undorked or I will abandon ship. Aperture first to go, left ofr lightroom. FCP is safe but soundtrack instead of ProTools? And QT7 pro needs to come back to the parth. enough a=madness to go around...

J

Jamesmd

Here's my current realty. Just picked up a fully loaded $3700 macbookpro. Take delivery of it, IT installes Office, and I get mh hands on it. Anyone who has changed machines knows the pita that befalls them. I've juggling half dozen external drives with various **** strewn everywhere.

anywho, I get my files loaded and start loadng mission-critical software like FinalCutPro, Logic Pro Studio, APerturne and other apps like Transmit. Then all the helpers for QT to be able to do what it isued to easily do - FLip4Mac, VLC, MPG Streamclip. It goes on. Face it, they cribpled the media handling in this iteration. it is just BAD. It needs to bo undorked or I will abandon ship. Aperture first to go, left ofr lightroom. FCP is safe but soundtrack instead of ProTools? And QT7 pro needs to come back to the parth. enough a=madness to go around...

I think i'm going back to 10.5 . I imagine tha means starting all over again , no ?