The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A mini workflow tutorial, raw in C1 (v5) to final via CS4

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger:

It doesn't, and that's why I did the local Contrast and Brightness adjustments in CS. HOWEVER, the color editor allows you to very accurately select a specific range of H, S and L values. Once selected, I can then adjust the H, S OR L, OR any combination of H, S and L, to another unique range of HSL values. So it is a localized adjustment as it relates to COLOR selected, as opposed to AREA selected.

Cheers,
Jack

I think this was posted before but in either LR or Bridge you can selectively adjust any color with H/S/L and you have an eye dropper that allows you to pick the spot and increase or decrease H/S/L and it will mix the colors . I think you do this in C1 by using the color wheel.

They don t have the ability to adjust H/S/L through a LAA..which I assume you could do in CS4 with layers .

I do learn a lot from seeing an example thanks for posting this one.

Jeremy

I think the use of localized instead of selected color (as opposed to global--my own connotation is localized = adjustments on a locale as in place/area) threw me off, but your terminology makes sense once I understood what you can do in C1.

I did take my version and yours into photoshop and checked the color values to see how close my eye was and we're talking points of difference so I think this image may not be the best example of the power in the C1 color editor.

Since I'm really intrigued by C1 I checked out Phase's 20 meg .pdf C1 ver4 guide and now it makes sense!

Lightroom can do selected color adjustments as you can select a color on the image with a mouse and intuitively adjust that color combination's hue, saturation, or luminance or any combo thereof. This is a global adjustment of a selected color (the color I choose on the image may be a combo of orange and magenta, for example) as opposed to the crazy power of C1's local adjustment of a selected color--you can adjust a selected color (30-40% magenta*, for example) and only affect this localized range (changing 30-40% magenta's H/S/L won't affect 50-60% magenta). This is not possible in Lightroom from what I know--in LR if you select the 30-40% range you'll adjust the entire magenta color range.

Now I really can't wait for my arm to heal so I can give C1 a thorough trial period work-out!

*Just using % color to make the example simpler

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jeremy, exactly my point re C1 versus LR color adjustments, and why I said if you use LR you'll probably want to do specific color edits in CS...

One other facet of C1's color editor, is you can adjust smoothness in addition to HSL. Smoothness is like a feather on a color selection mask -- hard to explain, easier to show onscreen, and the result is oh so very cool :cool:. For example, if I select a red rose color, I can slide smoothness up and it will start to "spread" and grab nearby colors like purple and orange. Conversely, I can decrease smoothness to a point where ONLY the color I droppered is selected. Moreover, I can totally edit the H, S and L of the selection itself BEFORE I make any adjustments to it.

Now just wait until we demo the new skintone editor :D. Not to be confused with the skintone dropper, which is still unfortunately named as that. But IMHO if you photograph people, this new tool alone is probably worth the total price of the program.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay watch this little demo here by selecting a certain color i am able to control it's and it's neighboring color. Watch the yellows and oranges an read text on images

Guy Mancuso

From there than you can add saturation to the selected color shown in color which is red and make whatever adjustments you want including changing the color tone watch next image coming where I change the red by shifting the hue all the way left. Watch image

Guy Mancuso

Now just to show i did not affect any other color this is the final image with a new red color which is now neon something. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Great examples Guy! Of course now we won't have that lesson to teach in the workshops any more! :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

woodyspedden

Woody,

To be clear, I was just responding to Roger's comment and do not have any specific data from Adobe. However I do know Roger and feel he is probably very well informed on this, so I take what he says seriously. I suspect Roger has more files and HUGE amounts of time invested in his LR2 libraries than most folks, so clearly a very concerning and difficult issue for him as well...

I have to believe Adobe will at some point release some kind of automated importer/re-writer for LR2 libraries so as not to abandon their existing users. If not, it will get very ugly for them...
Hey Jack

I too know Roger well from our trip to Germany way back when. I trust that when he says something specific he has researched it and is probably correct. I just hope that this time he is wrong because no matter that he may have 50K images compared to my 22 (or perhaps even 100K) there is no f.....in way I am going through all of this again. Simply silly IMHO.

So lets hope that cool heads prevailed and Adobe has a path to reimport LR 2.5 catalogs into LR 3.0

If that problem is solved the issue still will be the processing of individual files either by LR or by C1. At least the DAM side of things will be resolved

Woody

Jeremy

From Tom Hogarty over on the lightroom journal (adobe's lightroom blog)

[During the beta cycle we don't support catalog upgrades. This is intended to reinforce the fact that Lightroom 3 beta is not designed for production work with your entire image catalog. We will upgrade your Lightroom 2 and Lightroom 3 beta catalogs into the final version. -TH]