The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Version 5 Released

thomas

Is there any possibility to create a keyboard shortcut to toggle the floating window for the focus tool in v.5 ?
unfortunately not.
Workarounds:
Try the second viewer (menu "window"-> viewer) ... I think for your particular purposes it will work just as the focus tool. You can assign a shortcut to the second viewer.
Or mabye you create the focus tool as floating window and collapse/expand it when needed... you can place it on the top of the interface so it doesn't hurt when collapsed.

Ralph Eisenberg

unfortunately not.
Workarounds:
Try the second viewer (menu "window"-> viewer) ... I think for your particular purposes it will work just as the focus tool. You can assign a shortcut to the second viewer.
Or mabye you create the focus tool as floating window and collapse/expand it when needed... you can place it on the top of the interface so it doesn't hurt when collapsed.
Thanks. I just wanted the confirmation that it was not possible to assign a shortcut. I put this in as a feature request in beta, as I think it would be useful (at least for me out of habit it is).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just found another cool feature you can hold the command key down highlight a tool tab and move it in place to where you want so what I did was move unused tool tabs put them at the end so the batch tool does not get hidden. Obviously you can delete a tool tab as well

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just found another cool feature you can hold the command key down highlight a tool tab and move it in place to where you want so what I did was move unused tool tabs put them at the end so the batch tool does not get hidden. Obviously you can delete a tool tab as well
Awesome -- was trying to figure out how to do that outside of deleting them the re-adding them back in!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Crash reports:

FWIW, still getting pretty regular program crashes on my 8-core Mac Pro, usually only involves the browser, either navigating to a different session's images from an existing session, or scrolling though a large block of images as the focus mask tool is still rendering the new browser images. I can replicate the focus mask crash behavior on my laptop, but not the navigating crash.

Ralph Eisenberg

Well, here at least Phase has been incontrovertibly consistent since v 1. I suggested to them that they allow third-party video training programs to be made which would allow user's to become conversant with and optimize their use of the many features that CO contains.

thomas

FWIW, still getting pretty regular program crashes on my 8-core Mac Pro, usually only involves the browser, either navigating to a different session's images from an existing session, or scrolling though a large block of images as the focus mask tool is still rendering the new browser images. I can replicate the focus mask crash behavior on my laptop, but not the navigating crash.
no crashes here (only twice AFTER shutting down... I think I shut down too soon after the last adjustment).
To give C1 a chance and let things go fluently: there's a little wheel right beside the RGB values in the top border (under the toolbar, if you use it) indicatiing that C1 is "working". Wait until it disapears. Too, as to the rendering of thumnails and focus mask, hiding the viewer helps a lot. With the browser expanded you'll see if C1 is ready with the rendering of previews or not. First start editing when C1 is ready. That's of course only a workaround until V5 is as rock solid as V3... if that will ever happen.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Nope, still crashes every time I apply focus mask, regardless of viewer being open or not. Only seems to happen in a relatively large session folder of images, not smaller ones, and definitely occurs before the browser is finished rendering everything.

thomas

Nope, still crashes every time I apply focus mask, regardless of viewer being open or not. Only seems to happen in a relatively large session folder of images, not smaller ones, and definitely occurs before the browser is finished rendering everything.
okay, good to know, thanks!
What happens if you start with the focus mask hidden and first toggle it when all the previews are ready?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
okay, good to know, thanks!
What happens if you start with the focus mask hidden and first toggle it when all the previews are ready?
That's when/how I get the crash! IOW, I start normal and let all previews and browser render -- which takes maybe a full minute on a large folder of images. I can tell it's all done when my core monitor goes to zero -- FWIW your wheel by the RGB values stops spinning and shows the RGB values after a few seconds. Now if I toggle focus mask on and do not touch anything, the viewer image renders the mask ASAP and all the browser thumbs start to render, then in about 10 seconds, boom, crash. This happens whether or not I have the viewer open or just the browser.

thomas

That's when/how I get the crash!
I see.

Now if I toggle focus mask on and do not touch anything, the viewer image renders and all the browser thumbs start to render and in about 10 seconds, boom, crash. This happens whether or not I have the viewer open or not.
it's annoying... but maybe just delete the *.cof files from the cache folder and try again?
I'll try it with a larger session as well... so far I didn't noticed trouble with the focus mask... only that it slows down things until fully cached.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Interestingly, when I relaunch the focus mask is applied to all the images normally. Also, I can toggle the mask off with no crash even if the rendering is still busy.

I don't have the issue in smaller session folders, but this particular folder has 441 images in it, all P45+ files, and that's the one I seem to have the crash with. Has to be an issue with the browser and poor or inadequate memory usage. I have 24G of RAM in my big box and C1 is tagging maybe 3 or 4G of that tops.

thomas

Interestingly, when I relaunch the focus mask is applied to all the images normally. Also, I can toggle the mask off with no crash even if the rendering is still busy.

I don't have the issue in smaller session folders, but this particular folder has 441 images in it, all P45+ files, and that's the one I seem to have the crash with. Has to be an issue with the browser and poor or inadequate memory usage. I have 24G of RAM in my big box and C1 is tagging maybe 3 or 4G of that tops.
I've just assembled a folder with 500 P45 files. C1 ist very busy creating previews and the focus mask but I can show/hide viewer and show/hide focus mask all the time without trouble. I can even start editing on a file and copy/apply adjustments to other files... though while C1 is so busy I do it carefully.
MacPro 4.1 here with 8x2.26GHz and 12GB RAM. According to my menu meters RAM is used at low levels... around 2 - 2.5GB. But the 16 cores are working as hell. Maybe not as hell, but all equally at around 60%.

When the session crashes on your machine, is the quick tab opened or the details tab?
Am asking because above you've mentioned...:
I keep all my focus tools under the detail tab, including three focus windows for center and two corners
... so maybe it's too hard with the 3 focus tool windows, the viewer and at the same time with the focus mask? Just an idea...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
When the session crashes on your machine, is the quick tab opened or the details tab? Am asking because above you've mentioned...:
... so maybe it's too hard with the 3 focus tool windows, the viewer and at the same time with the focus mask? Just an idea...
On my Quick tab, no focus screens open.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay, fixed it.

Had originally set my preview sizes to 2400 pix. I set the previews back to 1200 pix, then nuked all that session folder .cof files. Then I relaunch and let all the new previews render -- which takes a few minutes AND uses about 90% of my RAM(!). Now I apply focus mask and it works fine.

I suspect the issue may have been connected to my original preview size and then changing it without nuking the old preview cache, or just the combination of a lot of images and large previews, or maybe just a corrupt browser cache...