The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ok I'm out of room on my HD

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I have very little space left on my Macbook pro hard drive 250GB. I need to do something to get my Lightroom Catalogs off and put them somewhere else. I now use a Dobro to store / archive but I don't think it is intended to be used as a working HD.
I organize like this right or wrong; I make a new catalog based on the year 2007.lrcat, 2008.lrcat, 2009.lrcat and so on. I use them frequently so I need them handy. I back them up frequently with the dobro. Is there a raid 5 or some kind of external hard drive kit you can recommend? Thanks in advance.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mike if you have a express card port on your MBP it might be a good idea to have a 1tb external drive in a box from OWC that has e-sata than run a e-express card . I use this today for a OS backup and also my working files.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEFW924AL1K/ Just buy any drive you want here and install

I have this one http://eshop.macsales.com/item/CalDigit/FASTA1EX/ . Better and faster yet but pricey is this one http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet Technology/SATAIIPROE34/

Guy Mancuso

This would be a nice LR catalog home since it is still very fast and much faster than Firewire 800 or any other solution besides ripping the DVD out and running a hard drive in the box. Which I have done also. i have 2 Hard drives in my MBP actually SSD running Raid O but you could easily drop in a 500gb drive in there but obviously you would be limited by size of drive and also battery time and not too mention a lot more heat. Reason I went SSD on this count but this is extreme power hungry pigs like me. LOL

KETCH ROSSI

***Maxx Digital HD Storage Discounts***

Actually I think I can help here and if Guy is okay with it we can make a Sticky for it too so that every one here can take advantage of this offers.

I make absolutely no money on any of this sales, I just like to pass along any discounts I get, which I offer to my main Cinematography Forums.

Here it goes, and off curse Guy, if it is Okay STICKY it, if not remove it :)

Hi guys,

I'm very proud to announce that after much tough Ketchframe has decided to go with Maxx Digital to cover all its Digital 4K, 3D and CinePhotography Storage needs and RED Rocket™ solutions for in house and on set workflow.

Ketchframe has also received a generous discount offer on Maxx Digital Storage solution to include all EVO Expando series, and I'm very happy to announce that Ron, our friend from Maxx Digital, has extended our discount to be offered to our fellow of the GetDPI community.

Just visit Maxx Digital and talk to Ron, inquiring about the Discount offered to KETCH ROSSI, via its company KETCHFRAME, and see what percentage of discount they can offer on your product of need.

Thanks again Ron for extending this generous offers to Ketchframe and the GetDPI community, much appreciated.

For more info please visit: Maxx Digital

Guy Mancuso

Ketch copy that whole last paragraph and post this in the commercial section also as it is a great reference for members. Thanks Guy

mwalker

Subscriber Member
If anyone is interested I worked through this with David at OWC. This is what we decided to do...thanks Guy

Qty: Item Number: Description: Price:
1 APIEC0003D APIOTEK EXTREME Dual eSATA SATA I/II Express Card 34 Adapter for the Apple MacBook Pro or any ExpressCard/34 slot equipped system. Add TWO eSATA Ports to your Laptop! New with 1 Year Warranty. $39.99

1 NWTGM8Q7S10TB64 1.0TB Newer Technology Guardian MAXimus RAID-1 [MIRROR] (1.0TB HDs x 2) eSATA/FireWire 800/400+USB2 "Quad Interface" Storage Solution. Oxford 936 SATA Chipset, Dual Drive 7200RPM, 64MB Data Buffer. All Cables, Software Bundle, 3 Year Warranty Included. $319.99
Sub-Total: $359.98

Good solution and cost 2X1TB mirrored drive and esata card for $359.... who would have thunk it

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Mike,

Sounds like a great solution. Does it by any chance allow for hot-swappable on eSATA? (If so, then WAY cool!)

Guy Mancuso

Jack interesting thing I can actually power down my e-sata express card pull it out and obviously my drives go away than I can actually reinstall the express card in my laptop and they come back. I never tried it until about two weeks ago. What's neat now i can put in my express card SD adapter download than put my drives back on without rebooting.

Guy Mancuso

If anyone is interested I worked through this with David at OWC. This is what we decided to do...thanks Guy

Qty: Item Number: Description: Price:
1 APIEC0003D APIOTEK EXTREME Dual eSATA SATA I/II Express Card 34 Adapter for the Apple MacBook Pro or any ExpressCard/34 slot equipped system. Add TWO eSATA Ports to your Laptop! New with 1 Year Warranty. $39.99

1 NWTGM8Q7S10TB64 1.0TB Newer Technology Guardian MAXimus RAID-1 [MIRROR] (1.0TB HDs x 2) eSATA/FireWire 800/400+USB2 "Quad Interface" Storage Solution. Oxford 936 SATA Chipset, Dual Drive 7200RPM, 64MB Data Buffer. All Cables, Software Bundle, 3 Year Warranty Included. $319.99
Sub-Total: $359.98

Good solution and cost 2X1TB mirrored drive and esata card for $359.... who would have thunk it

Sounds good Mike let me know how you like it. The unfortunate part with laptops is the hard drive solutions e-sata is about the only fast drive solution out there.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy, that sounds like about as close to hot-swappable as you can get with eSATA ;)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
My new MBP unfortunately lost the Express slot as it evolved and gained an SD/SDHC card reader... and FW 800 returned. So, I use LaCie Ruggeds (the 7200rpm/320GB ones) via the FW drive. Very light, too.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
My new MBP unfortunately lost the Express slot as it evolved and gained an SD/SDHC card reader... and FW 800 returned. So, I use LaCie Ruggeds (the 7200rpm/320GB ones) via the FW drive. Very light, too.
Yes I use the I use LaCie Ruggeds (the 7200rpm/320GB ones) for feild work and now the Guardian MAXimus RAID-1 for my LR library files at my desk. I'll back it up with the Drobo. David said I could up the size of the drives as needed...... $350.00 for the 2 X 1TB mirrored upgrade...... this stuff has got cheap...

Jack I don't know..... but it sounds like Guy is doing it.

Guy Mancuso

I just can't boot in 64bit until I get a firmware update to my Caldigit Express Card. Only thing I have been waiting on. Machine runs fine but I can't see anything connected to the express card in 64 bit. Hopefully soon they will have it for me

mwalker

Subscriber Member
David at OWC added this:

• The drives themselves are not "hot-swappable" since the enclosure is a fixed bay. They can be removed and new ones installed, but not considered hot swappable.

• You can still boot into 32-bit mode, as is the default on Snow Leopard Macs until those drivers are updated
or
use a card that is already updated drivers for 64-bit
The Firmtek and OWC card both support 64-bit. You'd need Firmtek for the G-Max - OWC would not work since it is not port-multiplier aware.

http://eshop.macsales.com/search/express34