The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture 2.1 Plug in support

Terry

This could be an interesting development. There is an Aperture upgrade that now supports plug-ins. Brush based dodge and burn is the first one and is included.

Free upgrade for 2.0

I saw announcement on DPReview. Sorry can't link from iPhone

LJL

I had downloaded it early this morning and have been playing around with it a bit. Have to say that this really works. The ability to brush in changes locally is very nice. The even more interesting feature for some, is that the plug-in architecture could allow other developers to incorporate their RAW processors as plug-ins in Aperture. (None yet, but the platform now exists.) What this means is that one could load and manage images in Aperture, and if they wanted, could invoke some future C1 or RAW Developer, or even ACR conversion of the RAW file, and not just use Aperture's own algorithm and tools. This does not yet exist, but the potential is now there. This is very cool stuff for Apple and Aperture.

I am waiting to see the Nik Software Viveza plug-in, as well as the PictureCode Noise Ninja plug-ins that are now in development. This could finally usher in the plan of having a single app, Aperture, be able to accommodate digital asset management, RAW conversion(s) via several options, full adjustment palettes, complete variety of output options (Web, books, prints, etc.), and other things not yet released. Doing it all from one place, without having to shell out to other apps and trip back in. This is really great stuff.

LJ

P.S. Needless to say.....this is starting to look like head-to-head competition with Adobe PS. Some of the changes/adjustments will be "permanent" as in pixel changing things like PS, but others that are instruction sets for the RAW file will remain. There is also the ability to possibly create multiple version adjustments inside as well as still going outside to external editors as you can now, but doing it all inside, and still having control over the RAW adjustments. This is way cool development.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks pretty good on the video. Just when my demo ran out. LOL

may have to think about buying this

LJL

Guy,
The new plug-in that Apple includes with the Aperture update does a nice job. The other good feature is that it allows multiple edits using different tools at the same time. So one could lighten a face, darken a hot spot, desaturate some overblown color, perk things up with a bit more saturation on another color, selectively sharpen eyes, blur a background face, etc., all in the same edit session quickly.

My impression is that this is going to really raise the bar a bit for Lightroom, as well as knock on the door of Photoshop itself. Still a bit early to tell, and there is only this one free plug-in for now, but once things like Nik Software's Viveza and PictureCode's Noise Ninja get rocking, plus some of the broader multi-image toners and even some optical correction tools, things could become very interesting. Even though the Aperture RAW processing algorithms are pretty decent, the future option of possibly having a C1 or some other RAW developer plug-in is also exciting. Not saying those folks would develop that, but they may, especially if customers kept asking for it.

The bit of a downside is that those plug-ins will cost, just as they do now. The counterpoint being that Aperture is only $200, while PS is way more (not counting the upgrade prices), and still does not handle DAM, except through Bridge....a separate app. Apple has taken some aggressive and very useful steps forward here with Aperture. Might be the start of enough to get more folks working on their Macs and using their apps, beyond Bootcamp or VMWare shells to Windows/Vista apps.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks like a good fight about to brew between these programs and we will benefit from it. Now i like that

harmsr

Workshop Member
I'm excited about this announcement.

I love using the "U" point technology in Nikon Capture NX and just added it to Photoshop.

If I can start to do everything in Aperture, including Noise Ninja (which is my choice for noise reduction software) I may have very little need to go into Photoshop for the majority of my shots now.

Bring on the competition, this helps us greatly.

jonoslack

Oh!
It works so well, this is wonderful, my already much reduced use of photoshop is threatening to disappear completely.
Guy - I'm afraid you might just have to buy!
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

etrigan63

Plus they also announced that Nik Software is going to port all of their new plugins (Viveza, Dfine, & Color Efex) as well as Noise Ninja from PictureCode. This is gonna be great!

LJL

Plus they also announced that Nik Software is going to port all of their new plugins (Viveza, Dfine, & Color Efex) as well as Noise Ninja from PictureCode. This is gonna be great!
Carlos,
Where did you read this about Nik Software porting ALL of their plug-ins to Aperture? I had checked the Nik Software site, and read through other interviews, etc. From what they are saying, only Viveza will be ported to Aperture (May 2008 expected delivery) at this time. Folks that already have Viveza for Photoshop will be able to get the Aperture version plug-in without charge. (That is really great news.) The other plug-ins from Nik Software (Color EFEX, Dfine, etc.) MAY also be ported at some point, but as I understand things, they are not doing so yet. Nik still needs to rebuild Sharpener Pro to work on Intel Macs running OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) without having to use Rosetta for running Photoshop. That is an important rebuild, and if they create an Aperture plug-in at the same time, that would be most welcomed.

LJ

LJL

Thanks, Carlos. You had me scrambling and excited with your comment. I have Color Efex and Dfine as PS plug-ins and so want them in Aperture. Viveza is on its way for PS, and I am excited to see that I will be able to get it in Aperture shortly.

This is a really breakthrough move for Apple and Aperture. With a great set of tools to start, and now the ability to do some quite sophisticated additional work, Aperture could really challenge the need for PS, for all but those graphic artists and those really needing to do a lot of other manipulation.

I have been playing around with the Dodge and Burn tool, and it works very nicely. If the other plug-ins do their thing the same way, it will be wonderful to just stay in Aperture for almost everything. This is great stuff.

LJ

David K

Workshop Member
Well I finally broke down and bought Aperture based on this latest version. Now that I've used the dodge and burn plug-in I can tell you it needs some work. I'm getting funky lines when I dodge and can't seem to use the clone tool after I've worked with the plug-in. Would be nice if they got this stuff right the first time. Still happy with the program, can't say it's better or worse than LR but I like the interface and the conversions seem pretty good to me.