The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CS4 64bit Slow performance saving layered file

jonboring

My computer CPU is an Intel i7 with 12 gig of memory running Win7 and CS4 64bit. I have 3 IO controllers and a RAID on each one. O/S is on a RAID0 with 2 fast SATA drives. PS swap is on a RAID0 with 2 fast SATA drives. Images are on a RAID5 with 4 drives. CS4 reads and writes very large files extremely fast ... except when the file contains layers. I can write a 1.4GB file in under 5 seconds but if I add a simple b&w layer, the write time goes up to about 90 seconds. Neither the CPU or the IO systems do much during that 90 seconds. CPU util stays under 15%. It is like CS4 is in a coma and wakes up every few seconds and decides to write a little of the file.

Any ideas?

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Got one similar configuration (less disks and no RAID5 though, and HD are Velociraptors) but do not experience this problem.
Questions:
-Does this occur when saving PSD or TIFF files or both?
-If it happens with TIFF, what's your options like? Compression None or LZW? Byte order PC or Mac? And more important, Layer Compression RLE or ZIP?
-Then (still with TIFF) do you have the usual message "saving layers will increase file size"
- If it happens with PSD format, does the Maximize Compatibility option checked or not?

(note: if not availalbe when saving, the last two item settings can be checked in the Preferences>>File Handling menu entry)

jonboring

It only happens with PSD files. I just saved a 2.3GB tiff file 2 background layers and 2 adjustment layers in about 7 seconds! Max compatibility is off when I save PSD's. Why the difference?

jonboring

The tiff wasn't compressed so that is the difference. The PSD is slower because it is compressing. If I turn the compression on in the tif's, they slow down too (though still a little faster). I guess I am switching from psd's to uncompressed tiff's :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Good :) If you want to give a try at compressed TIFF with such large files, make sure you test this set of settings first: LZW/Interleaved/IBMPC/RLE. Using the ZIP option in either Image or Layer Compression would drastically slow you down (and jpeg is destructive as -alas- we all know...).