The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

And the competition doesn't stand still....

stephengilbert

Lightroom Killer Tips listes the new features:
"1) Localized Corrections (AKA: Dodge and Burn) - If Lightroom 2 came out and this was the only new feature I’d upgrade in a heartbeat. Localized Corrections is the non-destructive dodging and burning that we’ve all wanted for so long. But I have to say this - it’s so much more. It goes WAY beyond what I expected from dodging and burning in Lightroom (which is why it’s called Localize corrections and not just dodge and burn) and I think you’re going to love it.
2) Better Photoshop Integration - Now you can open your files as Smart Objects, Merge to Panorama or even export straight to Photoshop’s HDR from Lightroom.
3) Post-crop vignetting - if you’ve ever tried to darken the edges of a cropped photo with the lens vignetting slider you’ll know it doesn’t really work. That’s where the post-crop vignette comes in.
4) Multiple Monitor support - can you say “Finally!”?
5) Picture Packages in the print module.
6) Output Sharpening in the print module and it really works this time around. I’ve seen tests compared to Lightroom 1 and the print sharpening is noticeably better.
7) Smart Collections - Collections were great in LR 1 but smart collections make using collections a lot easier.
8.) Printing directly to a JPEG file in the Print module. So if you send your photos off to a lab now you can save the files right from within Lightroom’s Print module.
9) Suggested Keywords - Get this… Lightroom will start suggesting keywords to you once you start keywording your photos. It’s weird to explain so make sure you stop by NAPP’s learning center to see it in action.
10) OK, I’m going to give you two here. First there’s a new filter panel in the Library module that makes getting to your photos easier and faster because it’s right there with your photos (instead of tucked away on the left side panels). Next, the Slideshow and Web modules both have Content panels as well as Collection panels. So now you can very quickly switch slideshows without having to jump back to the Library module and choose different photos."

etrigan63

And what they failed to mention is that it is a 64-bit native app in Windows and Mac (Leopard only). To enable 64-bit on the Mac, right click on the LR2 icon > Get Info > Uncheck "Open in 32-bit mode".

Also, you can now put your own flourish (end of column graphic) in the UI.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
And what they failed to mention is that it is a 64-bit native app in Windows and Mac (Leopard only). To enable 64-bit on the Mac, right click on the LR2 icon > Get Info > Uncheck "Open in 32-bit mode".
Nice! Thanks for the tip.

LJL

Folks may want to get a lot more comfortable with Lightroom and Aperture going forward, and hope more plug-ins and features are added. Just saw an article that said the next version of Photoshop (CS4) will only be 64-bit for Windows, not Mac OS X. Something about Adobe not being able to recode the Mac version to 64-bit because it is written on the Carbon platform, rather than the Cocoa platform, and Apple is not taking Carbon to 64-bit. That means PS would have to be recoded to Cocoa.

So, LR can run in 64-bit as does Aperture, and maybe C1 (?). This could see a lot of photogs not bothering with a PS CS4 upgrade when it finally ships. Could this be hinting to the exit of PS? Graphic artists will still use it, but their tools could be ported to Illustrator or some other app. Interesting times....

LJ

etrigan63

Just posted a couple of test shots from LR2 and Aperture 2.1. I used LR2Mogrify in LR2 for the frames and watermarking and BorderFX in Aperture 2.1.

First up Aperture 2.1

Now LR2:

Full size images can be found here.

As it stands right now, I like the skin tones in Aperture 2.1 better. Especially in funny lighting. Note the color of my son's right cheek being illuminated by the balloon filtered light. Look to me, better rendered by Aperture than LR2. But then, this is an early beta of LR2.

H

hermie

... but still no soft proofing :-(

Don't photographers soft-proof ...?