The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LightZone vs CS3 and Exposure for B&W?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I keep seeing the lovely small sensor work Mitch does with LightZone in B&W. Is there a great gain in using LightZone over CS3 with Exposure 2 for B&W work.

I'm still trying to get my arms around how LigthZone's area selection differs from CS3.

I'm I just being a geek looking for a new software fix and should be focusing on my vision rather than the tools?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I love the free demo thingies the software companies provide now. I have been able to feed the software-chasing-maybe-this-will-make-me-great beast without actually spending a bunch of cash. There are a lot of softwares that all do things slightly differently. Sometimes those slight differences are important. Sometimes they're just a PITA.

In some ways, all the variations remind me of the various developers of old, D-76, HC-100, Rodinol, etc. Some I use more than others, and some aren't worth the trouble or expense for whatever tiny embellishment they might offer. But excellent results can be obtained with each if you invest the time to learn them.

Maggie O

Photoshop will let you do just about anything, so when I use anything else, it's more about how using a program will help me think differently about any given photo. LightZone is good for showing me things I would otherwise miss in Photoshop, even though I could duplicate the look with CS3.