The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sharpening Question

T

tonyroth

Do the effects of sharpening on an image as rendered when viewing at less than 100% mean anything at all? I ask because when I sharpen in either C1 or LR, the programs do show the effects of sharpening when viewing the entire image (ie, less than 100%). But when i then process the images as jpeg's and open them, they look totally different, in other words when comparing those jpeg's at less than 100% to the corresponding dng's at less than 100%. Specifically, the sharpened DNG's always look far sharper than their corresponding jpeg's when viewing at sizes less than 100%. But then when I open the DNG to 100% and the JPG to 100%, they look exactly the same. Why is this and is this normal? Thank you.

Scargos2

I am not sure what you are saying. But when you process the DNG is the sharping checked or unchecked. This will make a difference in the out come.
Good Luck

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If you're viewing onscreen, there are also screen artifacts at any view other than 100% and you need to learn how to read them...

Dustbak

In ACR & Lightroom the effects of sharpening are only visible when looking at 100%. It is the way these programs work, at least that was how it used to be. I have not been checking it they still are, I just check at 100%.