The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture 3 is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

I was working on a book with a friend this weekend and we were using iPhoto. I must say the tagging function with integrated maps to pinpoint the spot was great.

I am going to do my own book with the maps for the coffee table near where some of the large prints from that series will be hung. Right now I'm using LR and then export the jpegs and import to the iphoto library. Would like to see how this works with Aperture and how all of the brush adjustments work.

I just can't get over their lame camera support. Come on you do a major new release in February and the GF1 that has been out since September and the Pen since June aren't included. Once again gives me pause of what the future holds when new cameras are released.

emmawest72

Thanks for info Terry. This is really excellent news - I'm delighted to see features such as curves, brushes,etc. Looks like they did their homework:)

Has anyone seen if is possible to buy the upgrade through downloading or do you have to get the box?

How about converting the gf1 files into dng and then import into aperture...not perfect but it works ( hopefully)...

jonoslack

Thanks for info Terry. This is really excellent news - I'm delighted to see features such as curves, brushes,etc. Looks like they did their homework:)

Has anyone seen if is possible to buy the upgrade through downloading or do you have to get the box?

How about converting the gf1 files into dng and then import into aperture...not perfect but it works ( hopefully)...
HI William
I'm excited as well - I've ordered the upgrade, and I'm downloading the 30 day trial (should do the trick).

Raw support still shocking, but the fact that the d-lux 4, lx3, G1 etc. are included means that they should have bitten the lens selection bullet, so we can expect the Olympus cameras to follow soon - until then Kevin's wonderful little action will sort that out

Interesting that the M9 (which actually works fine with default support in Aperture 2) is not included either - I know it isn't Leica's fault.

all the best

LJL

As an Aperture user since its initial release, I have to say that this latest version has some pretty significant improvements and new features. Everything from import, labeling, file handling, accessing multiple Libraries without exiting and restarting, etc., are all great to see. The image handling features are also most welcomed, especially things like the brushes, CA removal, etc. The outputs are also improved, and there is a wider selection of vendors for quality books. (I have been making books for my clients for several years, and they love them. The new additions/options, including a 13x10 book should be a big hit.) This new update includes import of HD video files with some ability to adjust/size clips, and then import them into slideshows, etc. While not a full NLE, like Final Cut Pro, it does look to be useful for folks starting out in video, maybe going on to bigger/better handling later.

As for the camera listing for files....there are some mistakes in their listing, so do not despair yet. For example, they have listed the Canon 1DsMkIV, which does not yet exist, but failed to list the 1DMkIV, which is already out. Besides, the camera/file handling is still controlled by the OS, not the app, so updates come along all the time. Would be nice to see a complete and ACCURATE list, however ;-)

LJ

emmawest72

I guess I will just run by my local apple shop to get a copy.

As for RAW support...I'm not too worried as almost 90 % of my files are TIFF i.e. scanned film:)

I will read about all teh improvements as there are a long list of really interesting ones such as sync,new books,etc. Exciting times!!

cam

Hmmmm...support for the G1 and GH1 added but not the GF1 or the Oly m4/3. What are they thinking!
if you whisper sweet nothings into Kevin's ear, he might be able to work some of his magic. not definitive, but since they have support now for the G1 and GF1, it just could work.

Eoin

At last!, long time coming. Like LJL and Jono (i'm sure) I've been using Aperture since it's release. Infact before it's release I moved to the Mac Platform just to be able to use the application.

Just looking forward to 64bit performance and hopefully they have plugged the memory leak. :)

jonoslack

Yes, it handles sRAW and mRAW from Canon cameras. Check their list....though somewhat inaccurate for some models, those file formats are listed.

LJ
HI There
I'd like to think that these were omissions :

Leica M9
Olympus EP-1
Panasonic GF-1

All of which are serious popular cameras which have been out for around 6 months or more

. . . . but I bet the aren't

Sometimes it seems like they are intentionally trying to irritate!
Incidentally, I've applied for a trial, but it doesn't seem to be happening? (no email from apple).
all the best

jonoslack

I try to downlaod a trial and get a mail from Apple but it is blank.
Hi There Uwe
You've done one better than me. I tried to download a trial, and I haven't had an email from Apple at all! I have ordered it though.

all the best

M

matmcdermott

HI There
I'd like to think that these were omissions :

Leica M9
Olympus EP-1
Panasonic GF-1

All of which are serious popular cameras which have been out for around 6 months or more

. . . . but I bet the aren't

Sometimes it seems like they are intentionally trying to irritate!
Incidentally, I've applied for a trial, but it doesn't seem to be happening? (no email from apple).
all the best
GF1 is not an omission. It's really not supported. Just downloaded trial and no joy. BTW, try emailing for the trial again. I didn't get anything the first time either.

kevinparis

I have managed to download the trial... but only after three requests to different email addresses of which only the last worked.

The sign up box was blank for me for a while but it eventually appeared

First quick dash through the app confirms it doesn't support e-p1 RAW

otherwise it looks very groovy indeed... the brushes thing is particularly good.

and it certainly seems snappier :)

K

jonoslack

GF1 is not an omission. It's really not supported. Just downloaded trial and no joy. BTW, try emailing for the trial again. I didn't get anything the first time either.
Hi There - thanks for that - it's working for me now too.
But my internet connection is . . . . er limited - currently it's saying 2 hours 45 minutes.

How does it look?

jonoslack

I have managed to download the trial... but only after three requests to different email addresses of which only the last worked.

The sign up box was blank for me for a while but it eventually appeared

First quick dash through the app confirms it doesn't support e-p1 RAW

otherwise it looks very groovy indeed... the brushes thing is particularly good.

and it certainly seems snappier :)

K
HI Kevin
I hope you're well . .. music to my ears (that snappier bit). I assume your wonder application still produces workable files? I'd have thought that getting a G1/Gf1 version out might be worth your while . . . . I see that Cam is already suggesting you can!

My browser now says it will have finished downloading in 6 years, 5 months 16 days and 21 minutes . .. our internet connection in Cornwall is not fab!

all the best

Status
Not open for further replies.