The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture 3 is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinparis

if you highlight a value field in the Adjustments palette you can use the arrow keys along with shift and alt to change values by various increments. The tab key will take you to the next field and shift-tab will take you to the previous field.

K

jonoslack

if you highlight a value field in the Adjustments palette you can use the arrow keys along with shift and alt to change values by various increments. The tab key will take you to the next field and shift-tab will take you to the previous field.

K
HI Kevin - thank you for that - my trouble with keyboard shortcuts is that I always forget them!

Incidentally, maybe you have some insight on this issue (also posted on ApertureExpert).

3.01 has drastically improved things, and the RAW support is also a great bonus. I'm finding everything faster and basically GOOD. . . . however, if I chose the Aperture Activity Window, it says:
Updating Library
Processing Processing 29412 items 575 of 29,412

If you try and cancel the process, then it simply doesn''t - it says cancelling under status.
It's stuck - presumably on a broken file, but how to find where it's stuck.

Any ideas?
and I wonder how many others this is happening to who haven't actually opened the Activity Window.

Jono,

I ran into the problem you are seeing when trying to convert V2 to v3, and couldn't get it to either pause or cancel. Gave up, waited for 3.0.1, which did the trick. I was able to pause during 3.0.1 conversion (actually went from "Pausing" to "Paused"), but didn't try Cancel. If I was seemingly stuck on an image, I paused, quit, restarted, and things resumed well from there.

Don't know if that helps....

Rick

Godfrey

? :p

Give it a break Godfrey - I'm not annoyed by your opinions, but by your continued implication that those who don't agree with you aren't serious.
In my opinion it's rude and unnecessary.
You have your opinions, I have mine. I think you trying to tell me my opinions are rude is totally unnecessary, which is a much better reason to call you rude, if you must know.

If you're not annoyed, why bother commenting at all? You don't like thinking o yourself as a hacker? I've hacked many many things in my life, and I'm neither proud nor ashamed of it. In the world where I worked for 20+ years, hacking is just as much a daily term as 'programming' or 'editing'. Many take pride in a good hack: it's still a hack, but a good one.

Much ado over nothing, as usual.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I don't feel the discussion about who is "rude" helps here.

Truth is: These are hacks. If hacks help they are of course welcome but still hacks :).

If I need to perform a hack I do it any time. It still annoys me that the originator of the software seems to force me instead of providing a proper support.

>Much ado over nothing, as usual.

Agreed.

jonoslack

You don't like thinking o yourself as a hacker?
Let's get the issue clear:

I have no problem with what these changes are called and I really don't mind being labelled a 'hacker' - 'hacking' was how it was always referred to in the long discussions with Eoin and others when we were getting cameras like the M8 to work properly in Aperture. Which was achieved, helping lots of photographers to process the files they wanted in the software they wanted to use (I can't take much credit for this - Eoin was the brains behind it). Kevin's action for 'hacking' Pen files has similarly been useful - and - yes - for serious working photographers as well.

As far as I'm aware nobody has had any problems using either technique - of course, one does it at one's own risk, and one backs up properly and keeps the original files (whether configuration files or RAW files)

Of course, I completely uphold your rights to think that this is a bad idea - of course, it's just a matter of opinion.

I have a problem with statements like:
I don't mess with things like RAW.plist for clients or for serious work. That's the kind of thing that only hobbyists are willing to muck about with.
and

I don't know any serious working photographer who depends upon hacked software, it's not sensible to: a bad business decision.
Which, in the context of a discussion about how to achieve ends seem to me to be . . . erm. rude! I can't think of another word for implying that people who don't agree with you are mucking about and aren't serious!

Last edited:

jonoslack

I don't feel the discussion about who is "rude" helps here.

Truth is: These are hacks. If hacks help they are of course welcome but still hacks :).

If I need to perform a hack I do it any time. It still annoys me that the originator of the software seems to force me instead of providing a proper support.

>Much ado over nothing, as usual.

Agreed.
Hi Uwe
Perhaps you should read back a little - nobody was having a problem with the word 'hack' - just as you say, we do what we need to do to achieve what we want, and we're all annoyed by not having proper support.
It was the obvious slurs directed at anyone who would do such a thing which was the issue.
Perhaps there is a cultural difference here, but generally speaking arguing ad hominem is considered to be bad manners over this side of the pond - I have nothing against Godfrey's opinions, or his definitions (even if I disagree with them). Simply the personal attacks nested within them.

Last edited:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Kevin; tks for that. Is there a keystroke to highlight/make active the first of one's Adjustment panes?

And how do you add (for example) Curves to the list?

Jono: I own CS4 and PTLens; my question was about workflow. If one has to export to Ps for lens correction, how do you treat the resulting files? As far as I can see, the Aperture ouevre is a non-destructive window on one's raw files; these can be Exported in different ways. If you Export TIFFs to Ps for lens correction, what's the best way to deal with these non-Raw files?

TIA, kl

kevinparis

kit

the keyboard shortcuts on Aperture are highly customisable - go to Aperture/Commands/Customise menu and you see there are many more commands that you can assign you own keystrokes to. Add curves doesnt have a keystroke by default but it is easy to add one.

the W key will cycle through the Library/Metadata/Adjustments tabs and Ctrl+C takes you straight to the adjustments panel.

What i cant see is any command to highlight the first adjustment in a particular pane

check this article for more on customising the keyboard shortcuts

http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2010/2/2/customizing-keyboard-shortcuts-part-1.html

cheers

K

jonoslack

Jono: I own CS4 and PTLens; my question was about workflow. If one has to export to Ps for lens correction, how do you treat the resulting files? As far as I can see, the Aperture ouevre is a non-destructive window on one's raw files; these can be Exported in different ways. If you Export TIFFs to Ps for lens correction, what's the best way to deal with these non-Raw files?

TIA, kl
HI Kit
I'm afraid Kevin is the expert here!
However, I can answer this question.
Choose Aperture / Preferences / Export
Under External Photo Editor choose PS
then you can choose the output type (tiff, 8 / 16 bit).

When you right click on an image, you will then get an option 'edit with adobe photoshop' This will then automatically create a new version and open it in photoshop.

I hope this helps.

Kevin - thanks for the shortcut information as well (I hadn't been there).

all the best

kevinparis

Kit

when you send a file to an external editor like PS Aperture generates a TIFF or a PSD file from the RAW plus any adjustments you have done in Aperture up to that point. The file is stored in the same location as the original raw file. Of course this generates a bigger file so if you do a lot of this you need to watch out for disk space.

Using PSD as opposed to TIFF means that layer information is retained, though you cant access this in Aperture.

As far as asset management goes , aperture treats this file just like any other image, so you can search for it, keyword it, apply further non destructive adjustments and of course export it in whichever format you require.

hope this helps

K

Godfrey

Jono,

I grew up in New York City. I will always be honest and direct about my opinions.

There are many excellent photographers I know and whose work I enjoy who hack stuff all the time, all they want. There's nothing wrong with that. They're hobbyists, enthusiasts, and nothing they're going to say about it is going to change my mind. Some even make a substantial income from their photography. Good on 'em!

It's not what I do or consider professional. I'll say what I think of such things. If this offends your sensibilities for some reason, I would suggest you consider the reasons why that is rather than be offended.

Being offended and calling other people rude because you don't like their opinion and honesty is just puffery to me. "Much ado over nothing", as I said before.

Godfrey

Not sure I know what an idiotic animated icon which seems to represent "aggressively beating a sleeping bovine about the genitalia" is supposed to imply. Perhaps it's humorous to someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.