The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

recovering severely underexposed pics in C1?

cam

long story short, i was a numbskull... was shooting in manual for bright stage lights (f/1, 1/125, 160) and then forgot to return to normal after the show.

as luck would have it, i have a few shots that i really quite like... when i worked on one of them, i was pretty amazed a how much detail i could recover (M8), but the artifacts were quite nasty -- especially on a face.

is there some sort of magic that can be worked? does normal noise reduction work in this instance? i've been playing around with different variants (using C1 and/or CS3), but haven't been successful.

i won't die if it can't be done, i'm just curious if anybody has been successful in case i get sloppy again in the future.

TIA.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
long story short, i was a numbskull... was shooting in manual for bright stage lights (f/1, 1/125, 160) and then forgot to return to normal after the show.

as luck would have it, i have a few shots that i really quite like... when i worked on one of them, i was pretty amazed a how much detail i could recover (M8), but the artifacts were quite nasty -- especially on a face.

is there some sort of magic that can be worked? does normal noise reduction work in this instance? i've been playing around with different variants (using C1 and/or CS3), but haven't been successful.

i won't die if it can't be done, i'm just curious if anybody has been successful in case i get sloppy again in the future.

TIA.
Depending on the color of the light in the room you may find that one of the three channels (R, B, or G) had more light. Also, the blue channel is usually the noisiest. So if you convert to black and white in Photoshop using only, e.g. the red channel you may find far less noise.

Of course then it would be black and white :).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

cam

thank you, Doug!

in this case, i think i'm kind of screwed... but it was a very interesting exercise playing around with the channels. i hope i've learned my lesson.

luckily, i rarely screw up so badly (or at least realise what's going on sooner). that's what i get from not chimping, i suppose. silly me. the champagne and wine had nothing to do with it, i swear!