The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 5 file edit issue

mbroomfield

I've been trying out a trial version of C1 5.02 on my Vista 64 machine for the last few weeks and liked it enough to want to buy. I just built a Win7 machine however so I loaded it onto that and planned to buy and activate, however when I connect to any of my external drives C1 cannot edit the files, the thumbs show up but I have no control on any of the tools. I've had no problems whatsoever in Vista, and some time ago I checked out an earlier rev on an old XP machine I have and had no issues.

I wonder if it might be a permissions problem but I'm the only user and have admin rights. Up until now these systems have not been on a network.

Anyone had a similar problem or think of the reason for this?

Thanks

Mike

PS, I'm DEFINITELY selecting raw files, Canon 1Ds, 1ds2 and 1ds3, and ALL of this worked fine on my other PC.

mbroomfield

I tried working with C1 again today after came home with some photos to edit. Rather than importing with LR as I usually do I simply copied them onto my HD and opened them with C1. This time I could edit them OK. I rechecked some of my old files and verified that I still could not edit them.

As an additional test as I still had some old files on CF cards I deleted them from my HD and copied them over again (not using LR). I could edit them as well.

It seems as though if I import files though LR(3) I cannot edit them in C1. I'm using a preset, not sure if that has something to do with it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You have to have an image in a session before you can edit it, and if the program thinks that image is on an external memory source, it won't let you edit it. So, if you open even your default session, THEN point to an external drive with images, you should be able to edit them just fine.

mbroomfield

Thanks Jack. I'm not sure I understand about sessions yet, I've never created one, I just open C1 and use it so I guess it is my default.

All of the files are on a HD that is in an enclosure, so I opened C1 and navigated to the HD and could not edit any files. I've no issues doing that using an older version of C1 on my XP machine, and over the last 3 weeks in Vista.

I copied new files from my CF card to the same HD this morning and could edit them. I still could not edit the old files that were alongside. I deleted 3 directories that I still had on a CF card and copied them over again and found I could edit them. Again all on the same HD.

All of my directories are year/month/date indexed and in fact I made a mistake a couple of weeks ago and copied a feb day directory to a January directory last week. Today I can edit files in the new copy I made in February but I can't edit the same files in the version I originally made in January.

Mike

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Try starting a new session and point it to the folder with the images in question inside it. The easiest way to do that with an existing folder of images is to use the same exact name as the image folder and point to the same parent directory for the image folder as the session location, in this case your external drive. By doing so, the session and session subfolders will all be created inside the existing folder of images.

With C1 closed, navigate to that image folder, and inside it you will see a file that looks like "session_name.cos". Double-click on the sesion_name.cos file and this will launch C1 with that session. You may need to then point the C1 browser to that image folder, but probably not -- not sure how it works exactly on PC.

Now, you should be able to use that external drive plugged into ANY computer with C1 loaded, open the session by double-clicking on the session file and edit normally.

mbroomfield

Hi Jack,

Thanks again for the help. I tried that, both at the base level of my HD and also as you suggested at one of the folders (each day is a folder). I found the .col50 file and launched C1 but I can still only edit the files I copied over today...anything previously imported by LR has greyed out controls.

Mike

mbroomfield

Thanks Doug. I had to move this afternoon and the PC is unplugged and dismembered, but I'll be able to check tomorrow afternoon. All of the files are editable in LR, but I will check properties. James is helping me and has some suggestions as well.

Mike

mbroomfield

Well it is a permissions problem. Even though W7 says I'm an Admin I'm not and of course I can't change myself to one. I don't know how to log on as an admin (there's only my account), so if I can't figure that out I'll have to kill this machine and rebuild it and see where I went wrong.

I was able to open C1 as an Admin (right click) and edit files. That's a work around but I expect to have this machine for a while and I think having an account without admin privs is a bad idea.

Mike