The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dark green cast on all files in Aperture

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Interesting problem.

Background. First-time user of Aperture 3. Latest version installed. Using latest version Snow Leopard, on a MacQuadra, 7GB Ram, etc.

I processed all the images from a week-long shoot; no problems.

Two days ago, started shooting baby photos (my brother and his wife's new addition); variety of cameras (D700, G1, S90, D200).

Imported images into projects organised by day (and, incidentally, camera).

Import goes fine; then as I select an image, it turns a dark green; a message saying that the image was processed in an earlier version of Aperture (not the case) and that it needs reprocessing. Select 'reprocess'; no change, but then the Raw Fine Tuning window appears with its "Reset adjustment" arrow; this when clicked returns the file to expected—but not on all images; some stay dark green.

I have checked on the Apple Discussion boards; it seems this is a bug, but the suggestion to find the "Raw Decode Presets.plist" is unsuccessful, because this can't be found in App. Support, where it's supposed to be.

Unsettling for a Pro App, to be sure. All suggestions gratefully received. TIA, KL

Eoin

Are you sure you're looking in the right place?.
Try looking under (your user name = ~) ~/Library/Application Support/Aperture
It is not under (your hard disk) /Library
In here you'll find any preset plist that you have created. Perhaps it is the case you have not created any preset for the raw decode?.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Eoin, I looked exactly as you describe above (my UN/Library/App. Support/Aperture), but no Raw Decode Presets.plist, or anything like that (to do with "Raw" or "Decode") appears there. I deleted all the prefs. there in any case.

Then I followed the advice found here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2945

The only problem there is that, following the directions, I found that the expected screen did not appear, but a related one (point here is that "perform a consistency check" is not an option in the screen that DID appear). It might have been updated, of course.

In any case, after repairing permissions via this approach, as well as rebuilding the Aperture Library, the previews looked normal. I had to shut down the machine then, so am not sure whether the problem has been solved or not.

Others are having this problem too; see here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2330296&start=0&tstart=0

I will look into this further today.

Cheers, KL

Eoin

Hi Kit, Good to hear you've got going again. Like I said it may very well be the case that you have not created a raw decode preset in aperture yet. In the raw decode brick you can adjust any of the pre cooked adjustments such as boost and hew, sharening and noise reduction. You can save your adjustments as a preset and then if you wish set that preset as the default to be used when you import any images from that camera model into aperture. Hence the Raw Decode presets.plist.

I followed the links you posted and my immediate reaction to seeing the green images is that they look very like Uni White Balanced images I shot on the a900 for a while. Yuck!,
I'm actually having a lot of problems with apreture crashing on me. It was perfect until I fried the OS doing something stupid. I did format, a fresh install of everything, OS, apps and all updates. It's strange how it worked before but now doesn't. And this is on a Virgin Mac Pro with lots of Memory & Horse Power.

I was thinking of starting again from scratch, but I read many others are also having the same issues. Guess I'll just wait until they sort v3 out properly.