The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Higher ISO noise control

ReeRay

I'm hoping someone can help me here with my processing routine and particularly a problem I am having controlling noise at higher ISO viz 3200.

I shoot (RAW only) a lot of dimly lit and varying light theatre productions using a Canon 5D MKII.

I zero the camera noise and sharpening. I zero Capture One also. I apply NR as a first action IN CS3 and use the pre-set recommended Canon filtration which I also reduce by 50%.

Here's the result of an image at 3200 ISO which at 100% is pretty grim.

Can you suggest parameters to improve my PP?

I'd be most obliged for your input

Thank You

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Seriously, try C1 with NR set to around 25/40 for the 5D2 at 3200... If you don't like that, I really do like DFine and you can download a free demo...

Here is DFine run on your crop in AUTO mode. You can set it up to run as a layer then adjust opacity to taste. You can also dial back the measured settings to taste befor applying it. Best of all, since it loads as a layer, you can run multiple iterations, then mask to taste.

ReeRay

What a great tip from Jack.

I've downloaded the software and what a revelation.

Thumbs up for that one Jack